PetSmart

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

I love my managers.

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Brockton, MA
Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Brockton, MA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers, always an opportunity to move up in your career, hours

Cons

Need higher pay but.other than that nothing

Train a bit better

1124 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Horrible company. Worked as stocking/merchandising.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Raise 3rd month (10 cent raise- everyone starts at $7.51), 6th, and 1 year.
    Managers willing to listen.
    Option to get insurance.

Starting pay $7.51. A bit over minimum wage. (A con? maybe)

15% employee discount (makes up for the over pricing of items). 35% for managers.
    Employees receive 1 coupon about four times a year for 25-30% off their purchase, and/or grooming (if you trust them with your dog!!).

Great customers, always fun to help out and talk about their pets!

If you're scheduled out at 10am, you are OUT AT 10am. There is NO working over. (I feel this as a con only receiving 15 hours a week).

Cons

Lack of communication between management. They're constantly changing how to do things.

ALL employees under trained. Associates are not trained properly, they sell co-workers and customers fish and pet items that might kill or damage pets due to lack of training and knowledge.

I was put with a manager merchandising that stated out right "I do not know merchandising, you're going to have to show me through this". I was shocked! He didn't even know he had to send an e-mail at the end of the night! An associate should not be training management, or at least be paid more to train a person!

When pallets come in, some are 7 foot tall or so, full or cat cans, litter, or small various items. Petsmart is VERY strict that the pallet MUST be completed in 45 minutes! Therefore you're running around sweating, and hardly finishing, for near minimum wage.

If enough merchandise is stolen, your hours get cut to make up the cost difference. Petsmart needs to buy cameras or some sort of security system!!

Other merchandisers are paid $10 an hour for their work, while Petsmart pays about $7.51-$7.80/hr

As a stocker/merchandiser, be prepared to be at the store at 4am, then another night leaving at 2am. It's a horrible sleep schedule.

Product dates are not kept up on. Birdseed was found with bugs in it, covered in mold, expired about 8 months ago on the shelf for customers. I nearly got sick finding this.

When I applied to Petsmart I went for a merchandising job, not stocking, yet ended up with it.

Asked for 20-25 hours per week, only receiving 15. Everyone's hours were cut back to accommodate a new associate.

They do not take into consideration driving distance and fuel costs. I find myself working for 4 hours, and a driving time (there and back) of 2 hours. After fuel costs, I made about $40 in two days. One day a week I was given 7-9 hours and it was worth the drive.

This is all over 3 months.

Miss the customers, not the store

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the PetsHotel was rewarding. I learned a lot about dogs and loved 99% of my customers (and they appreciated me too). Breaks and lunches were fair. The majority of the associates were pleasant to work with. We had the ability to turn away aggressive dogs and Banfield was right there if there were any health issues.

Cons

Management is the biggest con here and it goes all the way up to corporate. They will lie to your face. If you do a good job in the hotel and are good at your position you will not move up, they wouldn't dream of losing a good employee to cover a bad manager. The carrot of promotion will be held over your head but you will see unqualified restaurant people who haven't touched a dog in their lives promoted or hired over you no matter how much experience you have.
    Work hours---I was a Senior Associate so I was expected to close at 9:30 p.m. and open in the morning at 6 a.m. most days. Sometimes I didn't get a break because we had to be "on call" the whole time. Who can eat a decent lunch when you had to have your walkie on all the time?
    The work is hard and you don't "play with puppies" all day. You will pick up feces and clean almost all the time. Go into the job knowing that.

Don't lie to employees and tell them they will be promoted if they work hard. It's a game. And don't hire restaurant people with no dog experience to run a boarding/day care facility. It's an insult to people like me who have years of dog experience.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart