PetSmart

www.petsmart.com
  www.petsmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Miss the customers, not the store

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Troy, MI
Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the PetsHotel was rewarding. I learned a lot about dogs and loved 99% of my customers (and they appreciated me too). Breaks and lunches were fair. The majority of the associates were pleasant to work with. We had the ability to turn away aggressive dogs and Banfield was right there if there were any health issues.

Cons

Management is the biggest con here and it goes all the way up to corporate. They will lie to your face. If you do a good job in the hotel and are good at your position you will not move up, they wouldn't dream of losing a good employee to cover a bad manager. The carrot of promotion will be held over your head but you will see unqualified restaurant people who haven't touched a dog in their lives promoted or hired over you no matter how much experience you have.
Work hours---I was a Senior Associate so I was expected to close at 9:30 p.m. and open in the morning at 6 a.m. most days. Sometimes I didn't get a break because we had to be "on call" the whole time. Who can eat a decent lunch when you had to have your walkie on all the time?
The work is hard and you don't "play with puppies" all day. You will pick up feces and clean almost all the time. Go into the job knowing that.

Don't lie to employees and tell them they will be promoted if they work hard. It's a game. And don't hire restaurant people with no dog experience to run a boarding/day care facility. It's an insult to people like me who have years of dog experience.

1157 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Presentation Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Presentation Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, and a generally fun environment to work in. Depending on your location and store manager there are lots of room for advancement

Cons

Long and odd hours paired with lots of stress equals your general retail environment. Managers can get taken advantage of.

In addition to taking really good care of your store employees, give some love to the store management too

Great environment and one of the BEST places I've worked!!

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good communication w/ two up and two down (bosses)
    Great rewarding career
    Great benefits
    Great pay (management)
    Wonderful corporate & store employee involvement
    Just a great place to work! Period!!

Cons

Some of the policies are redundant
    DM can be a little too strict sometimes
    Very focused on sales and OSAT (surveys)

To the DM... Relax a little. The management team likes to work in an environment where you are not only their boss but their friend who they can go to without actually being afraid of the way you will treat them.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart