There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Miss the customers, not the store

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Troy, MI
Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the PetsHotel was rewarding. I learned a lot about dogs and loved 99% of my customers (and they appreciated me too). Breaks and lunches were fair. The majority of the associates were pleasant to work with. We had the ability to turn away aggressive dogs and Banfield was right there if there were any health issues.

Cons

Management is the biggest con here and it goes all the way up to corporate. They will lie to your face. If you do a good job in the hotel and are good at your position you will not move up, they wouldn't dream of losing a good employee to cover a bad manager. The carrot of promotion will be held over your head but you will see unqualified restaurant people who haven't touched a dog in their lives promoted or hired over you no matter how much experience you have.
Work hours---I was a Senior Associate so I was expected to close at 9:30 p.m. and open in the morning at 6 a.m. most days. Sometimes I didn't get a break because we had to be "on call" the whole time. Who can eat a decent lunch when you had to have your walkie on all the time?
The work is hard and you don't "play with puppies" all day. You will pick up feces and clean almost all the time. Go into the job knowing that.

Don't lie to employees and tell them they will be promoted if they work hard. It's a game. And don't hire restaurant people with no dog experience to run a boarding/day care facility. It's an insult to people like me who have years of dog experience.

1073 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Inconsistent

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits for full-time employees.

High paying as a Pet Stylist if you're in the right location.

CAN be a good place to work if you're in the right location, but unlikely.

Cons

Although all stores are supposed to be the same, each is different depending on management. I worked at 3 locations, got paid well at 2 of the 3, and hated 2 of the 3.

People from corporate don't know anything about grooming or pet safety and try to enforce rules that are actually worse for the pet.

Grooming "Academy" used to be decent but is currently a joke. It's mostly luck of the draw and depends on whether you get a good, responsible trainer.

Many stores have no support from upper management, and they won't always intervene if an employee is harmful to pets or otherwise behaves unprofessionally.

Talk to a REAL groomer before making up policies.

This can be a very high pressure job, and customer surveys are worthless because only people who think they have something to complain about respond. They also rarely know anything about their own dog.

Make morale a priority and get rid of burned out salon managers. It goes a long way.

Support Manager

Current Employee - Support Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Support Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with Petsmart Charities to provide homes for homeless pets.

Cons

Compensation isn't the greatest. Lower management does not make enough money to compensate for all the crap they put up with.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart