There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Great at the beginning, only ok at the end.

Former Employee - Groomer in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Groomer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seeing dogs, cats and various animals all day is better than an office wall. The majority of people that enter the store to shop are happy to be there. Coworkers are generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

Some requirements sent down from the corporate office are illogical in real world situations. Cleaning up dog pee & poop is not the most pleasant experience, especially when its not yours!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, we see things at a different level.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Humiliating

Current Employee - Operations Managager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Managager in Boston, MA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great job if you were truly, unleashed ?

Cons

District Manager and Area Management are unprofessional, play games and manipulate talent. Not enough time to offer Customers, a great shopping experience. District Managers and Strore Directors do not have the skill sets to deal with lower management issues. They do not coach, mentor or train to succeed. Often the store culture can become toxic, there is not an atmosphere to succeed. Unfortunately lower and upper management set up an environment for failure than success.

Advice to Management

Retire District Managers who have been with the company over twenty years. Hire a management team whom has been in their own business. Entrepreneurial types, not managers who are content with sitting in the office working on scheduling, payroll and time efficiency reports. Let your HR work rather than take up all of the productive time spent by your Store Directors, Operations Managers and Presentation Managers. Encourage them, not discourage, mentor, coach and write performance plans to enable success, not failure. Action Plans are not a positive, just a way that you usure out the talent that probably intimidated the District Manager, therefore was a threat to job security and then showed the door.

First job, great experience, dog groomer bather/brusher

Former Employee - Bather/Brusher in Algonquin, IL
    Former Employee - Bather/Brusher in Algonquin, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and it was my first job ever. They were extremely flexible to my schedule in college and I had a lot of fun at dog grooming because of the team I had in the Salon.

Cons

Not really that many, was sometimes hard with certain dog owners and not being able to make them happy. Plus, having a difficult or stressed out dog can be hard too, but with experience you can handle it better.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer more incentives for part-time employees and benefits.