There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Not the worst place I've worked for

Current Employee - Grooming Salon Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
Current Employee - Grooming Salon Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to interact with animals, having repeat customers that you really get to know.

Cons

Micro-management, employees are never praised, only ever chastised. This creates a very stressful work environment and everyone is constantly worried about getting written up for one thing or another.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee morale and stop micro-managing.

reviews filtered by
  1. Excellent first job for me.

Current Employee - Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've no clue what the deal is with all the negative reviews, but I suppose it varies from store to store.

- Great customers and pets that come in
    - Decent wages for first time job
    - Clean environment
    - No issue managing work and school with the hours given
    - Easy to earn bonuses

Cons

- Not as many hours as I would like (Though I think that was mostly because of my school schedule)
    - A little difficult to move up into higher management, but that might be because the store is so new? (This one, I mean)

Not worth staying.

Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked there for nine years. Overall a positive environment. Everyone there loves and cares about pets. For the most part (here and there exceptions) little cattiness, backstabbing, highschool games.

Cons

Does not pay a living wage, at least not for the regular associates. Chances to move "up" are few and far between, and seem to be based on luck. Company does not follow it's own policies: for example, we're not supposed to sell fish to people who have tanks too small for the fish - but management would almost always shut us down if we tried to refuse sales. We're not supposed to sell fish for parties, fundraising events and the like -- but again, management just wants money. Constantly caught between trying to do what's right for the animal and what's right for the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Give the employees clear, consistent policies to follow. Corporate "policies and procedures" should be followed consistently in each and every store. Not left to the individual store's managers to interpret at whim. That might help with morale - knowing there's a code to live/work by that is consistent. Rather than trying to follow ten different manager's different rules and juggle all of that while still trying to help the pet parents.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart