PetSmart

www.petsmart.com
  www.petsmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

I had as good an experience at PetSmart as was possible while working in a retail setting.

Former Employee - PetsHotel Guest Services Associate in Farmingdale, NY
Former Employee - PetsHotel Guest Services Associate in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun group of people at my location - made everything better.

Cons

Like any retail store - it's open late and on the weekends, so know what you're getting into. If you don't want to work unconventional hours, then a position at a retail store may not be for you.

1159 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

i think they;re ok

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

some of the pros are good customer service ok atmosphere ok people that come in to buy things ok pets ok dog collars but to me this store stilld ont beat petco petco is my favorie pet store becaue theyre inexpensive but they make good quality stuff

Cons

cons are the pay as always you never get paid for the amount of work you do if everyone got paid for the amount of work they did then they would do much better work than what they do

i hate management

Depends on your store

Current Employee - Pet Trainer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Pet Trainer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pet Trainer
    Some stores are a great place to work--a great team and supportive of your classes and record keeping etc, Understand your sales and allow you to build a business and start rolling your classes from beg to int to adv etc.. Some stores are great!
    You also get to make commission so if you are good you have the opportunity to make good money and run your own classes.

Cons

Some stores are disorganized and VERY slow to get you on the schedule to train. VERY pushy when it comes to sales and selling your/your coworkers classes--Even when the store is slow and very few customers come into the store you are still expected to sell training classes--so they want me to try to push a Dog training class on the 4 people who came in for crickets today??? Lame. If you have an education and are over qualified for this position DON'T apply for it--Mindless cashier work for 3 months before you will get to train dogs at all, plus the pushy used car sales man attitude when it comes to sales--its frustrating!
    Also--I was hired on as full time, but hours have dropped from 40hr/wk to 22hr a week because the store is slow--this should have been told to me in the job interview when I asked about the hours/pay etc. I would have turned it down and kept looking for a 40 hr/wk job.

Don't threaten your employees to sell more classes--motivate and encourage them. No one wants to hear "I talked to the manager on the phone today and she asked if you sold any classes today- I told her not yet. she wants to know at the end of the day how many lives you have saved (training classes sold) So You better sell some classes today because she knows that its you here today and she knows that you have not sold any classes yet." *disappointed look from support manager*
    Train and equip your employees, dont threaten them-- especially for $10/hr.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart