PetSmart
www.petsmart.com Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Associates, customers, and students were great but there is way too much pressure on pet trainers to sell classes.

Pet Trainer (Former Employee)
Brentwood, TN

ProsThe associates are great and I made some amazing friends. I really enjoyed teaching owners and their dogs and seeing them progress. I loved helping customers find what they were looking for, pick out things for their new puppy and hearing their stories.

ConsThere is a lot of pressure put on the Pet Trainers to sell classes. My store manager gave all my upcoming classes to other trainers because he felt I hadn't sold enough classes, even though another trainer was selling the same amount as me. In order to get my classes back I was expected to sell classes for the other trainers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of taking a trainer's classes away because they aren't selling enough, give them a probationary period of two weeks or so where they can prove to you that they can step up their game and help them with sales by giving them tips on how to sell. You make trainers preach positive reinforcement but when it comes to your own employees it is no where to be found.

Actually listen to your employees. If someone comes to you with a problem or concern, don't fight them or pretend like they don't matter. Give them a positive and safe place where they can feel comfortable voicing their opinions and concerns without being judged.

Great company to work for!

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great culture, a lot of support from management, clear mission/vision,… Cons: The pay is decent, but could be more competitive for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Petsmart

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: working with animals, helping like minded people. Satisfaction that you can make a difference in a pet parent and pets life. Company benefits are… Cons: not able to manage due to having to task because not given enough hours for associates. Not company but District micro managing… Advice to Senior Management: This is not the job for you if you are not someone who is willing to work the hours it takes to get the job… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on PetSmart.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt. All reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees.