There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Good job, iffy management.

Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule. They are good about following your availability and making sure you get the hours you can work. They are also very good at letting you get extra hours or staying longer than your shift if you want to. The stocking was typically 5 or 6 in the morning until 11 or 12. There is always lots of work to do so time flies pretty quickly.

Cons

The management is very disorganized. I was told one thing by the store manager, and another by the manager directly below her. The store manager at the time I was there would go on 1-3 smoke breaks every hour but would complain when people paused for a minute or two from stocking. They were also way too lenient about some things. Some guys that got hired after me would repeatedly show up an hour or more late or sometimes not even show up without notice. They let it fly. Also, many times I would show up right at 6 and have to wait 10-15 minutes for the manager to get there and unlock the door. Another negative is that they would throw away perfectly good toys after they were on clearance for a certain amount of time, and wouldn't let me donate them to the different adoption agencies that they "support."

Have meetings that are solely for managers to go over what policies you support, and what you tell employees so that there are is miscommunication and confusion.

1063 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, a lot of support from management, clear mission/vision, steady long-term growth initiatives

Cons

The pay is decent, but could be more competitive for such a successful company.

Petsmart

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

working with animals, helping like minded people. Satisfaction that you can make a difference in a pet parent and pets life. Company benefits are great and the pay is very competitive. Team players within the District, all managers are very nice and helpful, no matter which store you contact.

Cons

not able to manage due to having to task because not given enough hours for associates. Not company but District micro managing makes it difficult to get all tasks done on time, finding it necessary to work more hours in a day than you should.

This is not the job for you if you are not someone who is willing to work the hours it takes to get the job done, normal hours for a day is 10, but finding it to be more like 12-14 at times. Also, you must be able to multi-task and have a very good ability to pay attention to details.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart