There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Good job, iffy management.

Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule. They are good about following your availability and making sure you get the hours you can work. They are also very good at letting you get extra hours or staying longer than your shift if you want to. The stocking was typically 5 or 6 in the morning until 11 or 12. There is always lots of work to do so time flies pretty quickly.

Cons

The management is very disorganized. I was told one thing by the store manager, and another by the manager directly below her. The store manager at the time I was there would go on 1-3 smoke breaks every hour but would complain when people paused for a minute or two from stocking. They were also way too lenient about some things. Some guys that got hired after me would repeatedly show up an hour or more late or sometimes not even show up without notice. They let it fly. Also, many times I would show up right at 6 and have to wait 10-15 minutes for the manager to get there and unlock the door. Another negative is that they would throw away perfectly good toys after they were on clearance for a certain amount of time, and wouldn't let me donate them to the different adoption agencies that they "support."

Advice to Management

Have meetings that are solely for managers to go over what policies you support, and what you tell employees so that there are is miscommunication and confusion.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

Not worth staying.

Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked there for nine years. Overall a positive environment. Everyone there loves and cares about pets. For the most part (here and there exceptions) little cattiness, backstabbing, highschool games.

Cons

Does not pay a living wage, at least not for the regular associates. Chances to move "up" are few and far between, and seem to be based on luck. Company does not follow it's own policies: for example, we're not supposed to sell fish to people who have tanks too small for the fish - but management would almost always shut us down if we tried to refuse sales. We're not supposed to sell fish for parties, fundraising events and the like -- but again, management just wants money. Constantly caught between trying to do what's right for the animal and what's right for the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Give the employees clear, consistent policies to follow. Corporate "policies and procedures" should be followed consistently in each and every store. Not left to the individual store's managers to interpret at whim. That might help with morale - knowing there's a code to live/work by that is consistent. Rather than trying to follow ten different manager's different rules and juggle all of that while still trying to help the pet parents.

Associates, customers, and students were great but there is way too much pressure on pet trainers to sell classes.

Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Brentwood, TN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates are great and I made some amazing friends. I really enjoyed teaching owners and their dogs and seeing them progress. I loved helping customers find what they were looking for, pick out things for their new puppy and hearing their stories.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure put on the Pet Trainers to sell classes. My store manager gave all my upcoming classes to other trainers because he felt I hadn't sold enough classes, even though another trainer was selling the same amount as me. In order to get my classes back I was expected to sell classes for the other trainers.

Advice to Management

Instead of taking a trainer's classes away because they aren't selling enough, give them a probationary period of two weeks or so where they can prove to you that they can step up their game and help them with sales by giving them tips on how to sell. You make trainers preach positive reinforcement but when it comes to your own employees it is no where to be found. Actually listen to your employees. If someone comes to you with a problem or concern, don't fight them or pretend like they don't matter. Give them a positive and safe place where they can feel comfortable voicing their opinions and concerns without being judged.