PetSmart

www.petsmart.com
  www.petsmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

It was an OK summer job for me as a college student, but the overall work environment was rather sad and gloomy.

Former Employee - Cashier in Watchung, NJ
Former Employee - Cashier in Watchung, NJ

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like dogs, becoming trained as a pet trainer might be a good career move. Discount on products is great for pet owners. Customers are usually nice and friendly, and meeting puppies and kittens that customers bring along cheers everyone up:).

Cons

Management is always overworked and they seem like they are going to fall apart at any moment. Not a good idea to run supervisors like horses if a company wants all its employees to be content. No one seems to be happy to work there, and there must be a reason for it. Also, make sure you don't have allergies to any pets that are sold at the store, like hamsters or birds, otherwise you'll get sick.

It's a shame that all full-time workers were fired at my place and replaced by part-timers like myself so that the company could pay less and not worry about the benefits and health insurance. You have to provide incentives for people to want to make a career at your company, otherwise you have a store full of sad people whose only goal in life is to somehow survive the day. Be nice and respect your workers - they deserve better.

1124 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

I loved the people, corporation was okay but expectations unrealistic.

Former Employee - Support Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in an environment that is constantly surrounded by animals, its a wonderful feeling when a dog runs in and runs right up to you. We had some rude customers here and there but the majority of the customers were fantastic. We really were able to connect with our customers on an emotional level because it was obvious they came in because they loved their pets, and we as employees loved animals. I advanced to management within 2 years of working there. Very flexible scheduling.

Cons

In the last year I was there they did modify a lot of their unrealistic expectations by lengthening the time that it should take to complete tasks, but I think the corporation had no idea what it really takes for employees to complete these tasks. And do not realistically allow enough payroll to schedule what it really takes. Felt underpaid when I was working as a manager and temporarily covering another management position. Overworked and underpaid.

Unpleasant

Current Employee - Stocker in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Modesto, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, most of the managers are friendly.

Cons

Extremely disorganized management, low pay/few hours for difficult work (groomers mostly sit around and chat and make a lot more), too many superfluous managers walking around telling employees what to do often telling you to do one thing while others ask you to do others. Waking up at 3 AM 3x a week will ruin your sleep schedule.

Do your jobs better