There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Busy and fun energetic winning

Current Employee - Pet Stylist
Current Employee - Pet Stylist

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people i work with in the salon they treat the dogs well and we have a vet on hand in the facility

Cons

some people shouldnt be working with animals but the firing process takes way to long the store managers know almost nothing about the salon but act liek they know everything

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

What Are Store Leaders Really Leading?

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Recession proof business in a tough economy 2) Company benefits at FT/Management level 3) Lots of supplemental learning offered at all levels

Cons

1) Company places higher value on successful Internal Audits vs. any other business aspect 2) Store daily operations are driven by "downloaded" tasks with little pre-planning ability 3) Store cultures and morale are childish and excessively drama driven 4) Managers don't lead people.....they lead shopping carts and cash registers due to lack of payroll to get job done.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of emphasis in this organization on "Leading." The lack of resources given the stores to actually have a staff of more than 5 people to lead at a time is ridiculous. On any given day, at any given time, the average store has on it's sales floor 1 associate in Pet Care, 1 or 2 Managers, and 1 cashier. The company is huge on relating Leadership experiences back to Civil War battles specifically about Colonel Joshua Chamberlain, and his leadership and defense of a critical hill that turned the tide of the outcome of the war. What the company so proudly espouses, but fails to recognize is that Chamberlain had UNLIMITED troop support (otherwise known as payroll) to actively complete the "tasks" they were commanded to do. There was a common purpose shared by all, in fighting for one cause. Our associates don't care that we ask them to battle for us, in order to achieve an audit score or post numbers to a business Scorecard, or drive stock prices higher. That doesn't affect the 25 hour/week associate who struggles to put gas in their cars just to be able to show up for work. The company has squeezed stores payroll so much, and relies far too much on time standard studies about efficiency, that they have lost touch with reality.

2. Worst place for people who love pets.

Current Employee - Salon Manager
    Current Employee - Salon Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy grooming and a lot of the employees

Cons

The pay for management is terrible, I make less than some of my groomers when sales arent up. The surveys are valued more than the work we do. Basically we are worthless unless the customer surveys are perfect. We literally beg people to do surveys. Sales are more important the customer service. Te job is physically demanding but you never get to use your sick time because you cant miss a day of work when you have appointments scheduled.

Advice to Management

The pay for management needs improvement. The survey system needs updating.