PetSmart

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Pet Stylist

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Loveland, CO
Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Loveland, CO

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on product, Health Benefits, Good people

Cons

Earnings are not what I was told, had to purchase my own tools

Watch more closely for safety issues in store

1166 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Small animals come from Animal mill

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with animals and great pet parents.

Cons

Seeing the small animals suffer and die. Small animals come from Texas. To long on a dirty truck. Many of the Guinea Pigs end up with Respiratory Infections some go into Pneumonia and if not treated properly die an awful death. Many stores dont treat them. Costs to much money. Takes away from the bonuses. Very Sad. We are suppose to hold our vendors to a "Higher Standard of Care" that is a bold face lie.

Give the employees that really do care and work hard the raise they deserve. Not the ones that are young and cute and lazy. Hold the Vendors accountable for ONCE. Managers that have "People Skills". Our store manager doesnt talk to you unless there is a pet parent around. Guess we are just beneath him. Give enough hours so that opening can be done correctly not hurried. Taking care of all those sick animals takes time.

What Are Store Leaders Really Leading?

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Recession proof business in a tough economy
    2) Company benefits at FT/Management level
    3) Lots of supplemental learning offered at all levels

Cons

1) Company places higher value on successful Internal Audits vs. any other business aspect
    2) Store daily operations are driven by "downloaded" tasks with little pre-planning ability
    3) Store cultures and morale are childish and excessively drama driven
    4) Managers don't lead people.....they lead shopping carts and cash registers due to lack of payroll to get job done.

There is a lot of emphasis in this organization on "Leading." The lack of resources given the stores to actually have a staff of more than 5 people to lead at a time is ridiculous. On any given day, at any given time, the average store has on it's sales floor 1 associate in Pet Care, 1 or 2 Managers, and 1 cashier. The company is huge on relating Leadership experiences back to Civil War battles specifically about Colonel Joshua Chamberlain, and his leadership and defense of a critical hill that turned the tide of the outcome of the war. What the company so proudly espouses, but fails to recognize is that Chamberlain had UNLIMITED troop support (otherwise known as payroll) to actively complete the "tasks" they were commanded to do. There was a common purpose shared by all, in fighting for one cause. Our associates don't care that we ask them to battle for us, in order to achieve an audit score or post numbers to a business Scorecard, or drive stock prices higher. That doesn't affect the 25 hour/week associate who struggles to put gas in their cars just to be able to show up for work. The company has squeezed stores payroll so much, and relies far too much on time standard studies about efficiency, that they have lost touch with reality.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart