A Great Way to Supplement the Allowance Your Parents Give You

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Lewisville, TX
Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Lewisville, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let's say you're a college student, and your parents and the government are covering most of your expenses while you go through school. You just need a little more income for "personal recreation and fun time." And if you can manage to do something fun, say, like play with cute animals and such, while you earn that pocket money, even better. You don't even mind the dirtier side of such an endeavor at all! You're not looking for a career here, just a job to see you through college... you don't even need that much money or a lot of hours, even.

Then Petsmart is THE place for you!

If the above describes you to a T, don't read anything that follows and assume that I gave this company 4 out of 5 stars. My rating and my complaints should not apply to you at all. You'll likely enjoy your short stint with this company, graduate from college, start your career and move on from this place without thinking anything more of it. For you, it's JUST a college job and that's perfectly okay. For you, the rest of this review is just a totally pointless TL;DR.

If the above does NOT describe you, continue reading and take heed.

Cons

If you are anyone besides what I have described above and you don't have credentials that will automatically jump you up to manager level (such as a business degree), my general advice is to stay the hell away. They don't pay enough, they don't provide enough hours even if you ARE lucky enough to land "full time" status, and unless you have your hands down someone's powerful's pants there are almost NO significant opportunities for advancement whatsoever.

Of course, the above describes my experience with the company through ONE, and just one, store. Maybe other stores are different. I don't know. All I'm saying is: based off what I have experienced, stay the hell away from this place if you are anything besides a student with a steady allowance from your parents. If you have any brains or self-sufficiency or self respect or your own rent and utilities to pay or some combination of all these things, your chances here are greatly limited and will likely be extremely dissatisfying.

And especially stay away from the pet hotels. Some may start out pretty awesome, but most degrade into something that most genuinely dog-loving and cat-loving individuals would feel downright ashamed for associating with. I think it's because pet hotels are NOT entities that should follow the typical retail business model, and yet when they are inside of a Petsmart, they do. Additionally, all the wrong people someone end up with most of the management positions, and such people are as lazy, ignorant and hypocritical as can be. I watched my own slowly rot over the course of two years before I finally moved on to something better. But that's not just personal experience, that's the actual word on the street: people in this place like to gossip as much as anywhere else in the realm of retail. I have heard some pretty nasty stories about a number of different petshotels. They seem to be the most commonly understaffed and overworked departments in the stores.

This place is a sham. This place is downright rotten. Expectations do NOT measure up to the reality of this business. You will find yourself feeling rather disenchanted from the experience. I just can't help but feel cynical here. Can you blame me? Look at how I write. I have a brain with a high capacity for feeling and thought. Such a thing is not very welcomed in retail or at Petsmart at the end of the day, though. If you're not in management, you're not supposed to be thinking this much at all. If you're not management, you need to learn to shut yourself off in order to cope. That seems to be the only way to deal.

Advice to Management

I think your profit motive has almost thoroughly detached from you purpose motive. The charities you run are nothing more than deceptive fronts, another form of advertising by projecting an image of what you want your customers to see. In other words: it's a ruse.

But that's okay: most incorporated retail businesses seem to have the same problem. Just a real shame in this instance because your company claims to care about people and pets, and I have seen plenty of proof that this is not the case.

The one decently hard working manager I had known while I worked there left to work for Petco. She didn't demand anything from her coworkers that she didn't also demand from herself. She made us feel like a team. She praised us when we did an awesome job and gave us helpful constructive criticism when we didn't. We had pride, then, in the quality of our work, in our levels of confidence and competence, even when corporate STILL demanded that we somehow do MORE with LESS. Then she had enough of the frustration of the business and left to work for your competitor. Now why is that, I wonder? Why couldn't you keep her or at least see her worth?

Want to be able to retain employees that AREN'T just students, mindless drones and spoiled brats? Want to retain hard working and smart working individuals instead of systematically driving them all away? Offer more opportunities for growth and advancement. Offer more hours and wages. Offer more incentives for such retention.

Stop trying to skim more and more off the top by demanding more production with less overhead in order to pad your bigwig's and investor's pockets. Why? Because when you pull such nonsense, the quality of your products and services ultimately go down. That cause and effect is pretty much inevitable and it's part of what's wrong with our economy at large. YOU are part of the problem!

Maybe if you did all these things, I'd come back and find passion in the work I did again.

Instead? I am going into healthcare. Because I actually CARE about people. AND pets.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Ordinary job

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Discounts and that's about it

Cons

Low pay, random work hours

Advice to Management

Have a better work schedule

2. Okay place for high school job

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training process for learning good care of animals

Cons

The animals come from something akin to puppy mills

Advice to Management

Pet care ,makes or breaks your store in terms of ratings- treat your pet care people well.