There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Pet Trainer

Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor  in  Parma, OH
Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Parma, OH

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun to network with clients and meet their dogs

Cons

Management pushed me through a month long "training period" where I did a workbook and trained under another dog trainer. After that, they were not hesitant to push me in with extreme cases of dog reactivity or aggression. Puppy classes were fun, but they care more about the sales than your dog training abilities. You get 20% commission off of the classes, but even that is not worth the stress.

Focus on more pre job training. You gave me 0 sales training and minimal dog training work. I would have stayed if I didn't feel so dissatisfied with my job.

1001 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Great for some, unfortunate for others

Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor
    Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-I loved working with the people and the animals, yes some of the people were less than savory but it's a retail environment no matter what position you are, you will see them
    -It's a very rewarding job, at least from a service or pet care point of view. You do your job and it shows such a difference it really makes you feel like you did something.
    -Most stores have a wonderful employee environment
    -The overall environment for new hires are wonderful.

Cons

-There are some stores and employees that seem to have been "forgotten"
    -The hours are sparse, even for full time employees corporate does not assign enough hours for a store (particularly a failing one) to complete even day to day activities.
    -Training is lackadaisical in some stores, and not consistent particularly with the constant p&p changes.
    -District or regional managers do not seem to put much effort into their stores

I would assign more hours to stores in order for them to be successful, be more involved in said stores so there is no forgetting of employees, and if there is a complaint of a store morale falling; to follow up on that. Most stores are absolutely wonderful but if the upper management would focus on the stores that needed help instead of just congratulating the stores that didn't this company would go much further.

Work hard enough and you'll move up quick

Former Employee - Lead Cashier  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast movement
    Raises happen often in your first year

Cons

scheduling can be a nightmare!
    managers will pile work load on lower level employees

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!