There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Pretty bad

Former Employee - Cashier  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Animals I guess. 15% discount. Learn to have work ethic, to an extent.

Cons

Annoying and intolerable customers that complain when they don't get their way. There is a reason why I advised against buy a medium sized goldfish to put in a small bowl. Unless you are a total animal lover, the constant dog barking will get on your nerves. Cashiering was okay, except when you get reprimanded for the littlest things. Another reviewer mentioned that they were lectured for leaning, this is also true. Managers here are the worst and the pay is not enough for what they expect you to do.

How about you provide a positive learning experience instead of chastising the employees?

1026 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Have been lied to/

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Working with all the animals.

Cons

Was told I was full time when hired. After a few weeks I was told I am part time. No benefits for part time. Me, among 75% of the employees hired quit there full time jobs to come here. They are all part time now and very unhappy!!!!!!

Do not lie to potential employess.

Working with animals is my main motivation for working at PetSmart, otherwise it's not worth it.

Current Employee - Bather  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Bather in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

In my position, I get to work with animals all day. They bring me a lot of joy. In addition, I've gained experience in sales, customer service and working with a team.

Cons

The pay and benefits are awful compared to jobs with similar requirements. Employees are expected to work in an overly demanding environment (customer service, sales, knowing hundreds of policies/procedures, physical strain, etc.) considering the lack of training and support. High performers turnover easily because they become burnt out and realize their skills are transferable with more pay and a pleasant work environment elsewhere. There is little to no performance management for low performers creating and unfair and frustrating team dynamic.

The communication between store, district, human resources and upper management is unreliable. Employees are given conflicting instructions weekly. PetSmart doesn't train their managers to effectively handle onsite employee issues; human resources support is national so issues are out of control before addressed, if at all. It is evident that customer satisfaction (regardless of situation) and making sales goals are far more important than the employees in the stores making it happen. There needs to be more balance.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!