PetSmart

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Deceptive Fortune 500 Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay until they find someone to replace you for less $$$. In my former district comprised of 10 Store Managers, all but 3 are left. The ones left were hired in at a much lower salary than all those who left or were fired. I know because I conducted the interviews for the new Store Managers.

Cons

Senior management does not follow the company initiatives such as the CARE model for associates. Since it was a program made up to look good for Wallstreet, they only expect store personnel to follow the program. Upper management does not CARE about anyone. You are just a number and your target date for removal is TBD.

Get a new CEO!

1159 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Overall enjoyable work experience

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at PetSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get yo be around animals and people that are like you.

Cons

There can be some pressure, especially during rush hours. If you can work at a fast pace, you should be fine

Don't even think twice about it.

Former Employee - Cashier in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Metairie, LA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals, coworkers are decent, little discount 15%, good employee coupons, first to know about sales.

Cons

management is literally the worst i've ever worked with, no room for advancement, trust me after 3 years of broken promise after broken promise I realized it was time to move on from a job where they try to fire you for things you haven't even done, My store manager was the the most idiotic, not to mention perverted jerk there is, not to mention a female manager who "punished" her employees if she was in a bad mood, the hours are terrible fluctuating from 11 hours to full time status even though you will NEVER become full time with this company, you will come in on your days off, work doubles, and work your butt off to no availability, you'll never get any praise, you'll be verbally abused, and mistreated, recieving the "short end of the stick" time and time again, do yourself a favor and never EVER work for petsmart. Working with animals is VERY rewarding, but it is not worth it, not to mention these poor animals are overbred, and die far too often within our care because managers do not know how to do their jobs or make sure their employees are doing theres. This company is full of lazy people, don't be the new employee that has to do a million and one things because no one is doing their jobs correctly.

Pay attention to the people you allow to be in charge of your entire store, make your open door policy much more evident so that people are not afraid to be bashed for speaking to their district managers without reprecussions, and make your firing policy much easier, people who do not deserve their jobs should not be allowed to keep them.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart