PetSmart

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

Very sneaky District Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Store Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great associates, pet parents and pets to work with. Love the associate discounts.

Cons

Can't trust District Manager! She's new in her position and is very unethical!

1159 Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart (View Most Recent)

Bad employee morale

Current Employee - Pet Stylist Assistant
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist Assistant

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great customer service and customer focus. Thorough and involved company policy and training. Benefits and work hours seem to be good.

Cons

Employee morale is terrible. Environment is overcrowded and very high stress in the grooming salon. Focus is grooming salon is on speeding through groomings rather than focused on quality of service.

Good place to work if you are flexible with your schedule and open to working in more than one department.

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Staff is usually hard working, outgoing, wonderful with our animals. Continually learning something new. Most customers are wonderful. Policy says that a sale can be denied if not a good fit. Some managers do not want to deal with the customer that is denied so they make associates sell the animal which makes the associate look stupid, not good.

Cons

Work load can be heavy, short staffed most of the time, micromanagement can be overwhelming. Raises tend to be low. Made more at other jobs with less responsibilities. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Have no control over what animals are stocked. Hard to hold people accountable because the bodies are needed. Open door policy is not quite correct. Communication tends to be hit and miss. Do not have time to "manage" because doing tasks takes the majority of your time. Not really room for advancement unless you start at the bottom. When some stores do badly, all stores pay the price. "Great" customer service can be difficult when you are being pulled in some many different directions. Customers that could care less how to take care of a pet, they have the money and want it now. Customers that get aggressive and nasty when you deny them the sale because it is not a good fit for them or their fish tank. The customer is not always right when it comes to live animals.

Let us be honest without repercussions. We are not machines we are all individuals and that is what makes the departments work. We can not make money for the company if we do not have people to help our pet parents. When we have no labor hours we have no workers and then we have higher theft because we can not be everywhere. Pay people a little better and offer more full time associate positions.

There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart