There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Decent plate to start, pay usually higher than similar positions but no advancement

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Petco

Pros

The animals are fun to be around (except cleaning up!) The atmosphere is pretty casual and customers were generally satisfied. The payrate at the was a good $1.50/hr higher than other retail places. Overall, I'd work here again if need be.

Cons

There was the lack of instruction to new employees. I was only to work the register but there are a handful of weekly sales goals management expects and none were ever explained to me until I failed to reach them (and was then punished). One of the managers would easily let blame slide to associates even if customers called him out by name (if they'd spoken to him earlier, etc). The GM of the store was reluctant to let the cashiers do ANYTHING else. I ended up leaving because I was tired of working a register 8 hours a day for 6 months straight and asked for more responsibility. I was not the only one who couldn't do much else.

Make sure the new hires are instructed in ALL aspects of sales! If there is a weekly goal, they cannot be expected to adhere if they do not know of it. Lack of advancement opportunities doesn't keep people around.

632 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Ok place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Petco

Pros

The people are very friendly and helpful. They really care about pets. They care about the employees and have a great team.

Cons

The hours are bad. They do not care about your home life. They expect you to put the company first.

Think about he people that work hard everyday that got Petco to the place is is. In other words remember the small people.

I went from a part time sales associate to salaried management in 3 years..If you want it, work for it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Petco

Pros

Obviously the discount, opportunities for people with no college degree to advance to senior management positions.

Cons

Constant payroll cuts, understaffing, frequent policy changes that are not always consistent between districts/regions. Managers encouraged (not openly) to do what it takes to get the numbers in line.

Please realize that just because a manager puts up good numbers , that does not necessarily make them a good manager. People don't complain because they don't want to get fired.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco