Do not work here.

I have been working at Petco

Pros

PTO is great, employee discount is good if you own pets. Thats about it, nothing really that great about working here.

Cons

Management is a joke, Gm is buddy buddy with our DM and you cant bring anything up to the DM about the gm because he will basically laugh in your face. When I asked for a raise because I was doing the job of 2 department managers i was laughed at and asked to leave the office. Hours are terrible I havent had a weekend off in 6 months and I work 2-11 pm every shift.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a horrible experience but not anything great either

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department

I have been working at Petco

Pros

The regular customers are one positive aspect of working at petco. The full time employee PTO is outstanding for any industry, you will have the ability to take paid time off almost any time of year except christmas and usually have enough hours to sometimes sneak in a four day work week and a vacation or two.

Cons

Expect to not have enough time to do the job right and a lot of turnover. The store im at has lost probably half of our associates since we moved as part of a relocation due to payroll being cut to the bone. PETCO is cheap on EVERYTHING especially in regards to employee raises. The max raise is .35 and its almost impossible to get so you'll likely end up with .20 cents a year. The only ones who make money are General Managers and they are so overworked due to a lack of payroll they cant possibly run a store to PETCO standards. Theres a lot of tunrover among management so there is oppurtunity if you need the experience and are willing to put in some time, but that should give you some indication as to the nature of trying to manage at petco. PETCO loves to invest in aquistions and remodels/new stores, but then theres no one to maintain the store and provide customer service to customers. It doesn't make sense to open a new store cut hours and run your best employees until they go elsewhere all while having a beautiful store go to the dumps.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and your store. You cant run the stores properly on the payroll you provide and you cant keep your best talent with a max raise of .35 a year. The economy is still rough, but believe me your best talent will find someone who will be glad to have them and not expect them to work for third world wages. No one in your stores looks at PETCO as a career its a joke. Everyones always looking for the next oppurtunity. If you dont begin to recognize your best talent and reward them with money or other perks your company will pay for it over the long run. Dont count on the economy to take advantage of people, because they will just go in and do a half assed job and effort. You will see the dog and pony show at corporate so everyone at the stores can keep their jobs, but you need to go undercover and see what really goes on day to day in your stores. Someones certainly making money but its certainly not the store employees!

It was Ok in the beginning but not so much anymore.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Petco

Pros

Get to work with pets which is great.

Cons

Pay is not great but that's retail.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns.