There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Animals really do come first at PETCO

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Long Beach, CA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Petco

Pros

PETCO really cares about animals. They do several huge fund raisers a year that help local adtoption agencies. The animals in the stores get the best vet care from vets that are as close as possible to each store. They like to permote from with in and spend alot of time training you for your job.

Cons

Not enough payrol give to properly run the store.

Spend less money on advertising signage in the store and allow more payroll to help improve check out lines and customer service. Also search for local vendors to help reduce labor and repair cost.

606 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

More DM store visits.

Former Employee - Team Lead/ Fish Specialist  in  Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead/ Fish Specialist in Tustin, CA

I worked at Petco

Pros

The best part is Getting to play with all the animals and the employee discount. If your manager trains you correctly you learn a lot about the animals. I unfortunately had to learn from trial and error and hounding down my managers with questions.

Cons

Horrible management, they were very immature and many should not have been promoted. At one time there were 5 team leads and 3 associates, this lead to a lot of head butting. The GM had favorites wich lead to poor issue resolving because she did not want to offend anyone. They are CHEAP and will rip you off. I worked a 12 hour shift that ended at 3am, but because I did not work that day I did not recieve overtime because the clock resets at midnight. They would not compensate me!

People work better when they are happy.

Disatisfied long term employee.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - General Manager in Orem, UT

I worked at Petco

Pros

Petco is a fun atmosphere to work in if you like animals and don't mind not getting paid very much. Although most of your time will be spent doing remidial tasks around the store, you do have the oppurtunity to interact with many different animals. Petco does offer a 20% discount to their employees, so this helps if you are a pet hobbyist.

Cons

Petco does not pay well or treat their employees well. Don't expect to be respected or treated like anything more than a grunt. Petco does not foster new ideas from employees. Petco also has a lot of mottos that are very untrue, i.e. "Animals come first". If you are in management, don't expect any help or direction from upper or middle management, their job is to tear you down no matter how good your store looks. They also provide very poor feedback, many times leaving you without knowing what you are supposed to do.

Eliminate some of the upper management to provide more help in the stores. The stores are way understaffed, making the general managers job much more difficult, because any excess work falls on him/her. Don't push ideas and propaganda unless it is attainable and you are willing to provide the support. Most company goals are shallow at best because support is lacking and execution is normally impossible.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!