Great people to work with, typical corporate nonsense

I have been working at Petco part-time for more than a year

Pros

This place gives decent paid time off. Other part time jobs I have don't offer anything. I got about 3 weeks after a year.
The people I worked with were great. I don't know if the same can be said for other stores.
If you like small animals, reptiles, birds and fish you'll have a great time playing with the animals.

Cons

There simply were never enough people working on the floor. I am frequently the only person on the floor and customers are visibly aggravated that I am the only person around to help when they have to wait. Sometimes they leave angry.

For being the only person on the floor and taking care of most of the customers while completely other maintenance and other duties, the hourly pay is way too low. It requires a fair amount of training and knowledge to work at petco.

Equal pay is non existent. It seems that different people get different starting rates. It was a real drag when I found out an employee that was hired a year and a few months after me in the same position was getting paid more than me because they changed the starting rate but due to some corporate nonsense couldn't adjust my rate. This is not the only case of pay issues that I am aware of.

Petco is not a place that can be run like every other corporate retail store. Paying employees as little as possible and expecting the world from them doesn't work at Petco. Managers can only do so much to get their employees to drive sales.

Petco is a place that needs a group of people that want to be there. It takes awhile before a good employee is comfortable answering all the questions the customers bring to the table. And you want employees to stick around so you don't have to keep starting over from scratch. And low wages and asking people to do the job of 2 people is not going to get people to stay.

The turnover rate at my store is ridiculous. I saw 20+ people come and go in a year. The majority of those people were fired because of attendance because they didn't want to be there. Good workers are hard to come by and they aren't going to stick around for minimum wage.

Pay your employees well so they feel like they are part of something good. Don't pay them as little as possible and tell them they are part of a family. A family takes care of their people.

Other Reviews for Petco

PETCO was a fun place to work because of the people and the animals, their pay and time off wasn't good.

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor

I worked at Petco

Pros

Customers were always very happy to be coming in. Usually excited about getting a new pet or having fun with the family. I learned a lot about animals and enjoyed the day to day of the job.

Cons

They paid only minimum wage and raises were in short supply. The manager I had did not care about anyones work/life balance. I didn't feel that I had much opportunity to advance in the company either.

I don't know if it was just my manager at my store if this is typical for the company, but I would recommend that management keep in mind that their employees have lives outside of the company. You will keep good employees if you make sure they have a good work/life balance.

Great at first, quickly fades.

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Most of the people are smart, nice, and friendly. Bring your pets to work!

Cons

Never promote from within. Not much recognition.

At least give current employees a chance at open positions!

There are newer employer reviews for Petco.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!