Petco
www.petco.com San Diego, CA 5000+ Employees

Sales Associate (Main Cashier)

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWorking and learning about different types of animals,
Learning what products perform the best,
Majority of fellow employees are fun to work with (I was lucky on that one),
The discount is nice if you own pets,
Flexible scheduling,

ConsThe overhauled Pals Program has blown up in Petco's face and corporate is not happy about it. Every $5 back for $100 spent, however if there are too many coupons redeemed, loss prevention gives the store hell. Which is ironic, considering my store has no security cameras, sensors, magnetic door strips, etc. to assist with theft. I regularly see people walk out with expensive products under their coats but given no real instruction on how to stop it, especially if I am the only employee at the front of the store, and busy.
The uniforms are potato sacks and are not comfortable and very hot, and the ferret poop stains do not come out. People often ask if I work there because while Petco's colors are blue and red, our uniforms are black and tan, I've been told I look like I work at an auto shop.
I have worked there for over two years and am rarely able to get off cash register.
The customers, especially in my city, are horrible rude people, but of course, they are "always right," which is hard when they openly talk about how they mistreat an animal.
People sometimes abandon animals in the store, such as birds, hamsters in boxes.
Animals do not always come first, numbers and payroll do. If there isn't enough payroll to pay someone to medicate the wellness room animals in the evening, they do not get medicated.
Numbers, numbers, numbers. As main cashier, I get yelled at for not having enough donations, not having enough pals cards, too many pals cards, too many coupons, too little coupons, etc.
I am always micromanaged for everything I do wrong and never praised.
60% of the hamsters received to the store have wet tail.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better and not like robots. Have sales associates rotated to prevent stagnancy. Stop pestering people for donations after they feed their rescued animal and rather donate a percentage of sales to shelters. Stop selling dog clothes. Rethink giant changes in the company before applying them. Stop micromanaging. Get better animal vendors and veterinarians.

Not a bad job... if you like animals

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Petco part-time for more than a year

Pros: Fairly laid-back work environment Variety of different tasks keep the job… Cons: Sloppy scheduling and constant changes/call-ins Dealing with a lot of animals... being an animal lover… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

management sucks

I have been working at Petco

Pros: great pay, and wonderful pto. Cons: they hire store managers with no pet, or pet related… Advice to Senior Management: promote within, stop hiring people who don't know how to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Petco.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!

Petco – Why Work for Us?

Improve the lives of pets and their parents. If you have a passion to enhance the bond people have with their pets, PETCO has the career for you. You’ll work in a fun environment with great people who share your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Petco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Petco CEO James M. Myers. All reviews posted anonymously by Petco employees.