There are newer employer reviews for Petco

This company has good bones. Can I give 3 and 1/2 stars?

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get out of it what you put into it, mostly. You get to appreciate animal care, learn about pet food, learn about business, I have worked many worse places. I think the benefits are decent. I have a family member working for a bigger company in management and Petco does a better job with benefits and PTO. You do have the tools to care for animals if you educate yourself on your own time as to what you need to do so this is a pro/con. Hours/ work life is manageable if you are part of a store with a good management team. Usually if you need help with a situation like staffing, products, questions etc you can reach out to your peers in other stores and get really good support. This company does empower you to refuse an animal sale if you believe it is not in the best interest of the animal. That is important to me- that wouldn't happen at a Wal-mart.

Cons

It's hard to attract a good workforce while paying minimum wage. Computer training modules are awful. DMs have too many stores so they don't really babysit the terrible GM's. The vendors that supply animals to Petco are suspect. Computer system in pretty bad, crashes a lot. IT is, of course, in India and very painful to deal with. My DM gives us guidelines for scheduling and business practices on conference calls and my present and past GMs consistently undermine them. Never enough payroll to do the tasks you are "accountable" for. Too many managers and not enough associates. Management training is the blind leading the blind. Petco "care sheets" are laughable and training on animal care is lacking in a sad, sad way. Upper management is flip-floppy on standards. I'm not a groomer, but this company treats groomers poorly. My full time grooming salon manager does a good job, has a client base, and made less than $16k last year. This company demands that you sell dog training classes each week but provides NO PAYROLL to teach them. Because we are successful at selling classes we literally lose sales associates hours to dog training classes. This is absurd! This company expects more out of you than they should for the amount of time/ resources they give you.

Advice to Management

Dear Petco upper management, I love the idea of this company. If the investors are pulling all the strings to kill this company we should be finding other investors right? Please breath a little life back into it... Petco really can make an impact on the lives of animals. Please realize that we actually do need more payroll. You hear it thousands of times over in the speak-up surveys, on the PetNet, in our promoter surveys. Its not a joke, people are walking out of your stores every single day because they are sick of waiting to be helped. Please monitor your vendors- cheaper animals are not healthier animals. I've learned more about zoological disease than I ever thought I would know. Please don't auto order 200 betta fish and not give us payroll to change their water per policy. Please stop carrying products with animal digest in them, also google that if you aren't sure what it is...pets shouldn't eat pets. Please source more products in our country so that they are not radioactive, won't kill pets like the jerky did, and Americans can have jobs. Please hire GMs with integrity- you would be alarmed at how uneducated they are. My past 3 GM's have not even had a basic grasp of state labor law, business ethics, animal care, equipment maintenance...etc....That is a shame on you upper management! My last piece of advice is that we are expected to schedule two weeks out (which I like) but DMs and upper management are not expected to plan conference calls, visits, payroll hours for action memos and ad sets etc, two weeks out? A schedule is a legal document to which we hold our associates accountable for their jobs...if you want it done just remember that once it is posted it is not supposed to be changed without consulting each individual associate on the schedule. You are just making our jobs harder.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Corporate office is highly toxic, scandalous, unethical

Current Employee - Corporate Office Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None. It will steal your soul. Not that they pay competitively, but no amount of money is worth spending a day in the horrid environment.

Cons

Leadership does not care one iota about employee morale, which happens to be critical for a company's success. Not in the corporate office or stores. Aside from the stripping of aspects that makes working here "fun", (holiday parties, summer picnics, onsite cafe, employee club), greed has led to huge portions of the company being outsourced to India and the Philippines, including payroll and HR functions. And it's been done without communicating to employees. You call the IT help desk one day and the person who answers is in your building. Call the next day and someone in the Philippines answers! Does that sound like leadership you'd like to work under? Doing things in the middle of the night, literally.

The pay for all but the very top level executives is at the low end of the lowest range. The benefits are virtually non-existent. Medical is a horrible consumer-driven PPO. Hardly anything other than annual exam is covered. It's like being uninsured or self-insured. Employee discount is minimal compared to the highest prices in the industry.

We are not allowed to order office supplies. Department VP suggested raiding empty cubes (from all the people who lost jobs to overseas) instead. All while executive VP collects a bonus in excess of $8 million.

Positions are filled in a shell-game style. Not until very recently were positions posted internally. Existing employees are discouraged or black-balled for exploring options on other teams. You put a target on your back if you dare to consider moving into another role. Training is non-existent. Onboarding process is woeful. The only real way to survive this culture is way ghost protocol (way under the radar) or to come up with another way to send jobs overseas. Those who do are handsomely rewarded.

Advice to Management

Your greed is completely transparent. No one at HQ is fooled. Everyone is disgusted. You are running this company, that once had a heart and some of the most loyal, dedicated employees, into the ground. You should all be ashamed. Self-destructing in 3, 2, 1...

2. Very good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    PTO for full time is excellent

Cons

As most retail jobs - pay
    Micro management at upper/senior levels of management

Advice to Management

more payroll hours
    less micro management