There are newer employer reviews for Petco

This company has good bones. Can I give 3 and 1/2 stars?

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get out of it what you put into it, mostly. You get to appreciate animal care, learn about pet food, learn about business, I have worked many worse places. I think the benefits are decent. I have a family member working for a bigger company in management and Petco does a better job with benefits and PTO. You do have the tools to care for animals if you educate yourself on your own time as to what you need to do so this is a pro/con. Hours/ work life is manageable if you are part of a store with a good management team. Usually if you need help with a situation like staffing, products, questions etc you can reach out to your peers in other stores and get really good support. This company does empower you to refuse an animal sale if you believe it is not in the best interest of the animal. That is important to me- that wouldn't happen at a Wal-mart.

Cons

It's hard to attract a good workforce while paying minimum wage. Computer training modules are awful. DMs have too many stores so they don't really babysit the terrible GM's. The vendors that supply animals to Petco are suspect. Computer system in pretty bad, crashes a lot. IT is, of course, in India and very painful to deal with. My DM gives us guidelines for scheduling and business practices on conference calls and my present and past GMs consistently undermine them. Never enough payroll to do the tasks you are "accountable" for. Too many managers and not enough associates. Management training is the blind leading the blind. Petco "care sheets" are laughable and training on animal care is lacking in a sad, sad way. Upper management is flip-floppy on standards. I'm not a groomer, but this company treats groomers poorly. My full time grooming salon manager does a good job, has a client base, and made less than $16k last year. This company demands that you sell dog training classes each week but provides NO PAYROLL to teach them. Because we are successful at selling classes we literally lose sales associates hours to dog training classes. This is absurd! This company expects more out of you than they should for the amount of time/ resources they give you.

Dear Petco upper management, I love the idea of this company. If the investors are pulling all the strings to kill this company we should be finding other investors right? Please breath a little life back into it... Petco really can make an impact on the lives of animals. Please realize that we actually do need more payroll. You hear it thousands of times over in the speak-up surveys, on the PetNet, in our promoter surveys. Its not a joke, people are walking out of your stores every single day because they are sick of waiting to be helped. Please monitor your vendors- cheaper animals are not healthier animals. I've learned more about zoological disease than I ever thought I would know. Please don't auto order 200 betta fish and not give us payroll to change their water per policy. Please stop carrying products with animal digest in them, also google that if you aren't sure what it is...pets shouldn't eat pets. Please source more products in our country so that they are not radioactive, won't kill pets like the jerky did, and Americans can have jobs. Please hire GMs with integrity- you would be alarmed at how uneducated they are. My past 3 GM's have not even had a basic grasp of state labor law, business ethics, animal care, equipment maintenance...etc....That is a shame on you upper management! My last piece of advice is that we are expected to schedule two weeks out (which I like) but DMs and upper management are not expected to plan conference calls, visits, payroll hours for action memos and ad sets etc, two weeks out? A schedule is a legal document to which we hold our associates accountable for their jobs...if you want it done just remember that once it is posted it is not supposed to be changed without consulting each individual associate on the schedule. You are just making our jobs harder.

602 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Just another employee - too many rules and contradictions

Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with. animals and health insurance.

Cons

Bad pay, overworked, benefits are expensive and non paid maternity leave. Try to force people out the door by making them miserable

Treat employees with respect and font try to force people out the door

ALWAYS A CHALLENGE

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Baileys Crossroads, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Baileys Crossroads, VA

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Customers always come in with a smile 90% of the time comparied to other retai stores.
    Always nice to help achild get their first pet.
    Having a chance to play with the pets and not take them home.

Cons

The concept of over greeting customers to make the customers think there are more associates in the store.
    The policey of managers not being able to ring customers out,when you are given 5 associates a day and 2 or 3 are managers .
    The Challenge of running a retail company and balancing true animal care along with that

Have everyone from corporate from jim meyers,Tom FORRELLO, AND ALL OTHER UPPER MANAGEMENT TO WORK 1-2 WEEKS IN A STORE UNANNOUNCED AND EVEN ON THEIR VISITS SHOW UP WITHOUT ANY NOTICE TO SEE REALITY.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!