There are newer employer reviews for Petco

I don't know how they sleep at night.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Bensalem, PA
Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's close to my house - less than 10 minute drive.

Cons

To many to list. Just know that all the negative reviews are absolutely 100% true.

Why bother. I really don't know how some of you sleep at night or look at yourselves in the mirror.

603 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

I am there until I find something better...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Close to home. I really just needed a job.

Cons

the GM has before made perspective employees work for free before she hired them when she was short staffed. Tried to make managers use PTO days to balance her scheduling. Most employees have forgettable training and have worked several months with out any knowledge or training about animals. High turnover due to lack of Leadership of GM. Most positions are understaffed and/or under trained that in turn causes stress to the employees, mid-management, and customers.
     GM holds carrot of promotions and pay raises to keep best staff but many have been turned down without being told they were. Pay rates are all over the place. One employee with experience learned he was paid less than some cute girl still in high school who knows nothing about animals at all and is just a cashier. Another Associate through some strange policy makes more than a sitting 4yr manager! One new hire was told she was to be a Assistant GM in three months is now working month 2 in another store and been given zero training working part-time. you cant run a store like this. No matter what employee you ask from assistant GM to the cashier, they all dream of finding a better environment to work in. It rings the life out of you unless you are a favorite i guess.
    One week while the GM was away her Assistant had to work 9 days in a row
     and manage 3 stores all 45min+ from each other. HOW!?

When in-house decided to give employes the chance to give honest anonymous were taken the GM told employees not to say anything bad As if she had no idea what honest means. This is the person who holds back your employees full potential. Many at that store would work at least 50% better than what they do now if she was not the one they had to go through for fair wages and acknowledgment.

Reading Reviews are Great and True

Current Employee - Pet Stylist  in  Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only thing I like about Petco is the people I work with and my clients. The pay sucks.

Cons

From reading all the reviews it pretty much tells you how Petco operates. Everyone says the same thing. Petco comes first (sales and numbers). Everyone is right. Petco only cares about numbers and sales and not the pets coming first, thats pretty obvious from reading the reviews. Groomers are a dime a dozen but good groomers are hard to come by. Petco has no intentions of changing. We got word that corporate is going to start making our schedules up. How dumb is that when it comes to grooming. Certain clients like coming in at 7:30 with their regular groomer, other clients work their schedule in with their favorite groomer. Then they want you to pre schedule your appointments. If corporate is making up our schedule in the salon, how are we suppose to know in advance to make an appointment with our client to come back in with same groomer on a certain date. All you groomers out there know that your clients only want you. And if they can't get an appointment with you at their regular time and date they get mad. So, I decided that when my clients get mad I'm giving them corporate number to complain. Corporate doesn't listen to our voice so maybe they need to listen to the clients voice directly. Corporate has no idea what days are good for you to work. My days off are all prebooked for appointments, one is my eye doctor that I can't miss the appointment do to I get eye injections for AMD, this is once a month. Corporate asses must be getting pretty big with some of their dumb ideas. I got hired on to be a groomer. One of the groomers was pulled out of the salon to clean the break room another cleaned the bathroom. They want the salon to go out on the floor and help but floor people can't help in the salon. The groomers are washing the rags that the floor people use to clean up their rodents. We question why do we have to wash their rags. When the salon closes at 7:00 why can't they wash their own towels? They push so much paperwork on the groomers, its getting where we don't have enough time to groom dogs with all they expect out of us and the list goes on and this comes down from corporate, then they get mad when you work overtime. I can just imagne if its happening here at our store its happening at all the petco stores. Corporate isn't going to work a day in the grooming salon, it a be to much work and they would have to admit their wrong pushing all the work onto the salon. They would certainly lightening our load a little if they worked one day in the salon, answering, phones, taking care of customers out on the floor, taking care of the counter, pushing paperwork and still getting your dogs out on time. This is a lot to handle and they still add to the DO LIST.

Our managers at the store I work with are fare. Our MOD works hard to keep her store running smoothly. She has no favorites. She is all business. She right on it when it comes to clients helping them out. I couldn't ask for a better MOD or Salon Manager.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!