There are newer employer reviews for Petco

I don't know how they sleep at night.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bensalem, PA
Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bensalem, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's close to my house - less than 10 minute drive.

Cons

To many to list. Just know that all the negative reviews are absolutely 100% true.

Why bother. I really don't know how some of you sleep at night or look at yourselves in the mirror.

627 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

I am there until I find something better...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Close to home. I really just needed a job.

Cons

the GM has before made perspective employees work for free before she hired them when she was short staffed. Tried to make managers use PTO days to balance her scheduling. Most employees have forgettable training and have worked several months with out any knowledge or training about animals. High turnover due to lack of Leadership of GM. Most positions are understaffed and/or under trained that in turn causes stress to the employees, mid-management, and customers.
     GM holds carrot of promotions and pay raises to keep best staff but many have been turned down without being told they were. Pay rates are all over the place. One employee with experience learned he was paid less than some cute girl still in high school who knows nothing about animals at all and is just a cashier. Another Associate through some strange policy makes more than a sitting 4yr manager! One new hire was told she was to be a Assistant GM in three months is now working month 2 in another store and been given zero training working part-time. you cant run a store like this. No matter what employee you ask from assistant GM to the cashier, they all dream of finding a better environment to work in. It rings the life out of you unless you are a favorite i guess.
    One week while the GM was away her Assistant had to work 9 days in a row
     and manage 3 stores all 45min+ from each other. HOW!?

When in-house decided to give employes the chance to give honest anonymous were taken the GM told employees not to say anything bad As if she had no idea what honest means. This is the person who holds back your employees full potential. Many at that store would work at least 50% better than what they do now if she was not the one they had to go through for fair wages and acknowledgment.

Fun...untill management starts singling you out

Former Employee - Reptile Specialist in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Reptile Specialist in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful associates.
    Working with animals.
    getting regular repeat customers is always fun
    Educating people

Cons

Management is a huge problem.. At my store at least, they cared more about the customer more than the animals we were trying to sell them.
    Selling customers unhealthy animals
    Giving reptiles the wrong food when the right food was available
    Expect us all to have a clone hidding somewhere so us associates can finish the work load they dump on us.
    Drama, drama and more drama mostly management created.
    The pay barely makes the job of an animal specialist worth while
    no room to move un in the company

Start treating your associates with respect. Instead of pointing out everything they do wrong, try pointing out what the do right. It might just boost moral and leave you with associates that actually enjoy coming to work instead of dreading an 8 hour day.
    Stop singling out and trying to fire associates who actually do their job and start singling out people who actually don't.
    We get it. Promoter is important. Beating your associates over the head with points we've heard over and over again is tiresome.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco