Petco

www.petco.com
  www.petco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

been there for 14 years now. love my job.

Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA
Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i get to work with animals, and help people. it can be fun, but its definitely hard work!

Cons

they pay is decent for a retail store, we have a great management team. they offer 401K and medical. but its terrible insurance and the premiums are ridiculous!! especially if you have a family. probably the only bad thing about working there.

offer better medical benefits to employess after 10 years. they have earned it!!!

678 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

wrongfully terminated

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, enjoy working with companion animals, great benefits, people friendly.

Cons

Company is getting worse. The responsibility of a store manager are out of control. Upper management tends to micro manage every part of the business. The lack of payroll makes it extremely hard to run a proper business, meet or exceed all metrics while also trying to provide exceptional service to the consumer. Executive management has lost touch of reality. I challenge any executive manager to run a petco store, and I guarantee you that they won't be able to with the same resources given to us. There is no loyalty at petco, I was terminated without due process. Honesty is not always the best policy. If I had lied I would still have my position as a store manager.

Your expectation are too high, not having the proper resources (payroll) will make it extremely difficult to achieve all company metrics. Do your research before terminating a valuable associate. Practice what you preach follow the disciplinary process for all associates.

Corporate office is highly toxic, scandalous, unethical

Current Employee - Corporate Office Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None. It will steal your soul. Not that they pay competitively, but no amount of money is worth spending a day in the horrid environment.

Cons

Leadership does not care one iota about employee morale, which happens to be critical for a company's success. Not in the corporate office or stores. Aside from the stripping of aspects that makes working here "fun", (holiday parties, summer picnics, onsite cafe, employee club), greed has led to huge portions of the company being outsourced to India and the Philippines, including payroll and HR functions. And it's been done without communicating to employees. You call the IT help desk one day and the person who answers is in your building. Call the next day and someone in the Philippines answers! Does that sound like leadership you'd like to work under? Doing things in the middle of the night, literally.

The pay for all but the very top level executives is at the low end of the lowest range. The benefits are virtually non-existent. Medical is a horrible consumer-driven PPO. Hardly anything other than annual exam is covered. It's like being uninsured or self-insured. Employee discount is minimal compared to the highest prices in the industry.

We are not allowed to order office supplies. Department VP suggested raiding empty cubes (from all the people who lost jobs to overseas) instead. All while executive VP collects a bonus in excess of $8 million.

Positions are filled in a shell-game style. Not until very recently were positions posted internally. Existing employees are discouraged or black-balled for exploring options on other teams. You put a target on your back if you dare to consider moving into another role. Training is non-existent. Onboarding process is woeful. The only real way to survive this culture is way ghost protocol (way under the radar) or to come up with another way to send jobs overseas. Those who do are handsomely rewarded.

Your greed is completely transparent. No one at HQ is fooled. Everyone is disgusted. You are running this company, that once had a heart and some of the most loyal, dedicated employees, into the ground. You should all be ashamed. Self-destructing in 3, 2, 1...

There are newer employer reviews for Petco