Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

wrongfully terminated

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, enjoy working with companion animals, great benefits, people friendly.

Cons

Company is getting worse. The responsibility of a store manager are out of control. Upper management tends to micro manage every part of the business. The lack of payroll makes it extremely hard to run a proper business, meet or exceed all metrics while also trying to provide exceptional service to the consumer. Executive management has lost touch of reality. I challenge any executive manager to run a petco store, and I guarantee you that they won't be able to with the same resources given to us. There is no loyalty at petco, I was terminated without due process. Honesty is not always the best policy. If I had lied I would still have my position as a store manager.

Your expectation are too high, not having the proper resources (payroll) will make it extremely difficult to achieve all company metrics. Do your research before terminating a valuable associate. Practice what you preach follow the disciplinary process for all associates.

657 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Not enough employees to do the job petco expects you to do

Current Employee - General Manager in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great customers who really care about their pets

Cons

lack of staffing to really get the job needed done

consider adding more hours and you will have associates to bring in more money.

Longest 3 years of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got to bring your pets to work and play with other people's pets. Decent employee discount and special promotions.

Cons

You'd think that a company whose slogan was "Healthier Pets, Happier People, Better World" would have a great culture, but no. Petco has a very old school, highly structured, soul-sucking culture. Executives pass directives down through middle management and rarely address employees directly. There were no opportunities for advancement and management had no interest in mentoring or developing talent. I saw many instances of highly questionable ethics throughout all levels of management. Very poor communication and cooperation between departments and even within departments, for that matter. They would often assign completely unrealistic workloads and expectations so certain individuals would either quit or be terminated for cause (cheaper than paying severance when their job gets exported out of state or to an overseas call center).

Embrace the 21st century!

There are newer employer reviews for Petco