Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

wrongfully terminated

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, enjoy working with companion animals, great benefits, people friendly.

Cons

Company is getting worse. The responsibility of a store manager are out of control. Upper management tends to micro manage every part of the business. The lack of payroll makes it extremely hard to run a proper business, meet or exceed all metrics while also trying to provide exceptional service to the consumer. Executive management has lost touch of reality. I challenge any executive manager to run a petco store, and I guarantee you that they won't be able to with the same resources given to us. There is no loyalty at petco, I was terminated without due process. Honesty is not always the best policy. If I had lied I would still have my position as a store manager.

Your expectation are too high, not having the proper resources (payroll) will make it extremely difficult to achieve all company metrics. Do your research before terminating a valuable associate. Practice what you preach follow the disciplinary process for all associates.

715 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

It is a good company to work for who has taken care of me.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement, paid training, mentors, great people and working with animals. Good vacation plan, good retirement 401k plan.

Cons

Long hours at store level, very top-heavy so it sometimes takes unnecessarily long to get issues resolved.

Always speak up! Your ideas do matter and are taken into consideration. Also, make sure your the majority of your staff is promotable!

been there for 14 years now. love my job.

Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i get to work with animals, and help people. it can be fun, but its definitely hard work!

Cons

they pay is decent for a retail store, we have a great management team. they offer 401K and medical. but its terrible insurance and the premiums are ridiculous!! especially if you have a family. probably the only bad thing about working there.

offer better medical benefits to employess after 10 years. they have earned it!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Petco