Petco

www.petco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

It is a good company to work for who has taken care of me.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement, paid training, mentors, great people and working with animals. Good vacation plan, good retirement 401k plan.

Cons

Long hours at store level, very top-heavy so it sometimes takes unnecessarily long to get issues resolved.

Always speak up! Your ideas do matter and are taken into consideration. Also, make sure your the majority of your staff is promotable!

721 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

been there for 14 years now. love my job.

Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i get to work with animals, and help people. it can be fun, but its definitely hard work!

Cons

they pay is decent for a retail store, we have a great management team. they offer 401K and medical. but its terrible insurance and the premiums are ridiculous!! especially if you have a family. probably the only bad thing about working there.

offer better medical benefits to employess after 10 years. they have earned it!!!

Save yourself, run from this company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

The only good thing about this company is that you get to work with animals. However, if you love animals, don't work for this company.

Cons

Poorly managed and most staff members are horrifically overworked. It is not uncommon to work 18 hours in a row and not receive overtime since the hours span over 2 seperate "days". We do not have the proper tools to do our jobs. Little communication, even less training, worst customers ever. This is, by far, the worst company I have ever worked for in my 20 year retail career. I can't say too much or they will sue me for slander (yes, they will, I've seen them do it before). Do yourself a favor and forget Petco even exists. They are a machine which chews up employees and spits them out a mangled, bloody mess.

Upper management: Harassment and threats run rampant throughout your stores. I know our dm is in our store an average of an hour each month. Maybe they aren't getting an accurate snapshot of what is really happening. Perhaps you should heed at least a few of the complaints you get regarding treatment of employees by your gms. Also, your "busy work" tasks to create "promoters", are really creating more "detractors" by taking away from what little payroll we do have, which you well know is not even close to enough. I could go on, but in true Petco fashion, no one would listen anyway.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco