Petco

www.petco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Petco has two faces in all areas of the store.

I worked at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved getting to know most of the people and had some good times with them. It was fun playing with the pets that came into the store.

Cons

This was definitely not the worst job I've ever had but I still ended up having a lot of problems with the way things were done at petco. Several days a week we had all 5 managers working and sometimes up to 4 working at the same time. This ended up with a lot of various orders being given and lots of confusion. Some of which got sorted when we got a new GM. The way that pet health was conducted was very poor a lot of the time due to budgeting. I feel that Petco says it's all about healthy pets but it really comes down to their bottom line and what they can afford. There was never enough staff but always way too much to do. A lot of work ended up being outsourced to the groomers or groomers assistants. The district mangers would come about once or twice every 1 to 2 months. They would come in and check everything over and drive the store to a frenzy but nothing ever seemed to be resolved. For example we had one GM come into work under the influence almost every day for several years and nothing was done about it. The last thing I would say (but not the last thing I have a problem with) is that it was almost impossible to talk about your frustrations to HR. Many employees didn't even know the number for HR or where to find it. This usually resulted in having to ask your manager for the number and lots of questions being asked, which is bad especially if one wants to remain anonymous.

Less managers more employees. The wheels at the top of the machine are poorly oiled which results in a less efficient machine all around. They need more trained managers who not only know how to run a business but also know how to be assertive when it comes to pet health and care

719 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Don't expect hours

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, get to work with all types of animals and good pay

Cons

I took this job because I was promised good pay and hours. When we took our training classes, we were told what a great company Petco was. We were told about all of the advancement opportunities and that the hardest workers got the most hours. We completely set the new store up from nothing to complete 4 days ahead of schedule. The first couple of weeks were great, then we noticed some of our co workers were not on the schedule. every week, someone got laid off including me. The DM's excuse, they are not making enough money to pay us. Our DM hired some of the people including the managers. Our store manager hired the rest of us. The people the DM hired is still working and none of them have a clue as to what they are doing. He just hired people. Our GM actually interview the ones he hired. The store has not been open that long and they are already getting a lot of complaints from customers about the employees not having knowledge of the animals or aquatics. It just goes in one ear and out the other. This store will fail and it will be the DM's fault.

The point is, a lot of us where hired with the promise of a good job. They used us to get the store set up, then cut over half of us. There is never more than 3 people in the store at any given time, the same as most of the Petco stores. The DM gets a nice fat bonus for keeping the staff at a minimum. Yet the store makes over 70k a week and the company makes billions in profits every year, yet they have no hours to give out.

This company doesn't care about its employees, nor the animals they sell. They set all of their IT and customer service jobs overseas, putting a lot of people out of a job

Give your employees hours, so you can keep your customers happy. Happy customers = more money. Unhappy customers = money for petsmart. Think about it.

Bather in Petco Grooming

Current Employee - Bather
    Current Employee - Bather

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal atmosphere, co-workers friendly and jovial, relaxed working exprience

Cons

Poor managment, managers often seem lazy or hypocritical (often on phones, not helping costumers), little recognition for good work

More 'Caught in the Acts', professionalize managment