Petco

www.petco.com
  www.petco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Petco has two faces in all areas of the store.

I worked at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved getting to know most of the people and had some good times with them. It was fun playing with the pets that came into the store.

Cons

This was definitely not the worst job I've ever had but I still ended up having a lot of problems with the way things were done at petco. Several days a week we had all 5 managers working and sometimes up to 4 working at the same time. This ended up with a lot of various orders being given and lots of confusion. Some of which got sorted when we got a new GM. The way that pet health was conducted was very poor a lot of the time due to budgeting. I feel that Petco says it's all about healthy pets but it really comes down to their bottom line and what they can afford. There was never enough staff but always way too much to do. A lot of work ended up being outsourced to the groomers or groomers assistants. The district mangers would come about once or twice every 1 to 2 months. They would come in and check everything over and drive the store to a frenzy but nothing ever seemed to be resolved. For example we had one GM come into work under the influence almost every day for several years and nothing was done about it. The last thing I would say (but not the last thing I have a problem with) is that it was almost impossible to talk about your frustrations to HR. Many employees didn't even know the number for HR or where to find it. This usually resulted in having to ask your manager for the number and lots of questions being asked, which is bad especially if one wants to remain anonymous.

Less managers more employees. The wheels at the top of the machine are poorly oiled which results in a less efficient machine all around. They need more trained managers who not only know how to run a business but also know how to be assertive when it comes to pet health and care

678 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Don't get trapped

Current Employee - IPDM
    Current Employee - IPDM

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

It is a huge learning exp. about pets. None of the training is about the animals but you do learn tons through the customers.

Cons

It is an overall horible place to work. You get very limited resorces and never enough time to properly give the animals the time they need.

I was a member of Management for years until I gave my 2 week notice. They need to make some major changes before they get shut down by the animal welfare people. Lets go corp. office. get your act together.

A company that does NOT care about their employees

Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager
    Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I do not recommend working for this company, unless you like being treated like a second rate person.

Cons

This company does not care about the people that work in the stores. Workers are afraid of the regional and corporate managers. Due to their jobs are always on the line.

Your company is only as good as the people that work for you. If your people are always worried and unhappy at their job then what is that telling the customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco