There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Over all a good place to work

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy job, good benefits. Get to play with puppies. Possible room for advancement. No thinking involved.

Cons

Low pay, corporate always asking you to do more with less. No ability to think outside the box.

Stop cutting hours and expecting better results. In order to properly help customers take care of animals and keep up store standards it takes having enough staffing.

626 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Petco is at the bottom of the retail industry.

Current Employee - General Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company provides a competitive Salary

Cons

This company deceives the public into thinking into believing that the company puts pets first. I took over a store that the entire stock of small animals and birds were infested with lice, filthy conditions for both store owned pets and the emplyoees who worked in this store.

If you consider yourself a professional high level manager stay away from this retailer. You will not be accepted or prosper. District Managers are extremely unqualified.

Underwhelming

Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Palm Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Palm Springs, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love animals, you will get to interact with a lot of animals of different varieties. That's about it.

Cons

Even as a full time manager, the schedules are not set or consistent. Expect to work 7 to 10 days in a row, without any over time thanks to schedule manipulation. As a manager, I was only getting paid $10.53 an hour so the pay is very low. The GM would regularly make fun of people, including myself, in front of others and they would think it was funny. When confronted about it, all she would say is "quit crying." Very unprofessional. Oh, and that schedule I mentioned...work that many days in a row, only get one day off, then have to go right back in.

All full timers should have a set and/or consistent schedule with two days off in a row to spend time with their friends and families. You might also think about increasing the pay scale.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco