There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Good opportunity in a growing segment of the retail industry

Current Employee - General Manager
Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great quality of life. Fun atmosphere with a variety of daily challenges.

Cons

Senior leadership out of touch with the day to day operations at the store level. Attitude of what can you do to improve rather than how can we help you succeed.

Increase advertising to compete with our direct competitor. We are virtually unknown and they are on TV all of the time. We are proud of the job we do and it is disheartening to constantly see our competition publicly grabbing for market share.

600 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Good work experience, uncommitted management.

Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Petco part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great broad experience in retail management (merchandising, advertising, planograms, etc.). No specific job, all sales associates completed a variety of roles.

Cons

Management that cared little about developing their talent pool. Employees that were not committed to the job and made it difficult for those who were interested in doing their job correctly. Little to no supervision or direction in a lot of cases.

Pretty fun!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

I get to play with other people's pets! Nice discount for employees. Rewards card is very helpful! Fairly laidback when it's not busy compared to Target. My boss is very good about scheduling around things or rescheduling a shift if given prior notice (ie can't come in until 3pm but your shift starts at 1? no problem!)

Cons

Sometimes short staffed. Rude customers (but that's everywhere!). Have to call a manager to verify 100's and 50's which can take a while depending on when they're busy.

Let more than just the managers verify the 100's and 50's! Show us how to use the UV machine yall use, customers get impatient having to wait 2-5 minutes and we constantly apologize for the wait.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!