Petco

www.petco.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Petco was the best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vero Beach, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Petco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very organized. Clean. Great help from the staff and managers. They are willing to promote those who really work to managers which is awesome

I loved working there. The manager of my Florida store was so helpful and involved with everyone. He truly cared about all of us and made an effort to get to know you. The training modules are very informative and helpful. The store is well organized and they stressed cleanliness which I loved!

Cons

I had to work very long hours at times, but it was because finding individuals with fish and reptile knowledge was difficult in my area. I had accumulated so much overtime at one point I was no longer allowed to work past a certain set schedule. The are strict with their schedules and if you forget to do something they are quick to get on you for it. So keep up on your required work!

Nothing. I loved working there and if i ever get the chance I would jump at the opportunity to work there again. Long hours and all!

744 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

STOP – They are moving everyone to San Antonio in the next 5 years, don’t waste your time

Current Employee - Vendor Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bringing your pet to work (if you have one), watching games from the box (one time a season)

Cons

I feel as a whole the company has zero direction of where they want to go (it’s really day to day here), and if they do have direction they don’t share that information with the corporate office staff. San Antonio has been held over my head for a long time, it’s just a matter of time that the whole company is moving out there; with the 10-15% less they offer you. We have SO many VP’s it’s ridiculous, VP’s who report to SR VP’s who report to other VP’s…. So many unnecessary people on the top of the food chain that do NOTHING, yet so few at the bottom doing all the work. It’s a running joke that if your hourly you’re a nobody, and your title means everything here. The Merchants run the show, so don’t cross them or you just committed career suicide. I’ve applied for other positions within the company made it through numerous rounds of internal interviews and then was told that I was not “qualified” to move to the final round. WHAT? I make less now then when I started a year ago, raises are terrible and wearing numerous hats all the time because the turnover rate is so high doesn’t make you want to work any harder. I hate being in a meeting and hearing about how all the “salary employees” are going to spend their bonuses.

Get some direction and stop taking jobs to SA, There are plenty of good people here in San Diego that want to make a difference in the pet industry and WANT to continue to work for you if you would just do right by us. We are not just a head count in SA so STOP treating us like we are.

A roller coaster ride every day! Working with animals is very satisfying, love them all.Just wish we'd get recognition.

Current Employee - Pet Groomer
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a job, doing what I love! In todays economy I feel lucky to have a job. Although making money is getting harder all the time. We work on commission, so now we are so over staffed that its hard to make money. More groomers all making commission, they don't lose a dime if they over staff!

Cons

Low Pay, Rules that are absolutely wrong. Suits deciding what a groomer can and can't do, when all you need is an educated staff!

Treat all your associates with some respect when its due. I feel if you put in years of dedicated service you should be appreciated for that! Stop hiring children (emotionally) who only want to party and last at the store for a couple months. Pay more, you get more!

There are newer employer reviews for Petco