There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Petco was the best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vero Beach, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Petco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very organized. Clean. Great help from the staff and managers. They are willing to promote those who really work to managers which is awesome

I loved working there. The manager of my Florida store was so helpful and involved with everyone. He truly cared about all of us and made an effort to get to know you. The training modules are very informative and helpful. The store is well organized and they stressed cleanliness which I loved!

Cons

I had to work very long hours at times, but it was because finding individuals with fish and reptile knowledge was difficult in my area. I had accumulated so much overtime at one point I was no longer allowed to work past a certain set schedule. The are strict with their schedules and if you forget to do something they are quick to get on you for it. So keep up on your required work!

Advice to Management

Nothing. I loved working there and if i ever get the chance I would jump at the opportunity to work there again. Long hours and all!

reviews filtered by
  1. Great concepts, poor excecution

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

PETCO has a lot of great direction in regards to training and customer service procedures. The interactions with customers are usually very fun, as most people enjoy talking about their pets. You can learn A TON about animal health and nutrition, as well as behavior and general psychology. I was surprised how much I was able to learn.

Cons

The training, although very well structured, is not executed per written protocol. My managers never demonstrated anything to me on the floor, and all I was ever told was to "read these things/watch these videos/do these computer quizzes then go out and start working." The training schedule is up to me to set up around my regularly scheduled shifts (which I consider my FREE TIME) and is so disorganized that often many associates will show up for training simultaneously and one person will have to go home. No one ever checked in on my progress or checked my learning on the floor. Everything was a computer quiz, open book. There is NO communication between managers, through employees, and certainly not between the management and associate teams. It's insane.

Advice to Management

Use the empty communication book you have sitting in the office collecting dust. Keep all the employees on the same page and up to date about happenings in the store on a consistent basis, not just when you happen to think about it. Follow the training schedule protocol and check in with new employees as they go through their training. Set established procedures for regular tasks and make sure it's consistent with every member of the staff.

2. Good work experience, uncommitted management.

Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great broad experience in retail management (merchandising, advertising, planograms, etc.). No specific job, all sales associates completed a variety of roles.

Cons

Management that cared little about developing their talent pool. Employees that were not committed to the job and made it difficult for those who were interested in doing their job correctly. Little to no supervision or direction in a lot of cases.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco