There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Fairly Good Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco

Pros

its a good job for high school or college students. It pays a fairly good amount for a standard retail job. An opportunity to learn more about a wide array of different animals.

Cons

Stores can often be understaffed and it puts unnecessary strain on the few employees committed to doing the very best they can do. The Management varies from store to store.

please take the time to acknowledge your employees, especially the ones who have been working for the company for years, listen to their feedback and try to make things easier for the employees who take pride in their work.

606 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

I NEVER saw one hourly "wellness check" of any in store pets.

Current Employee - Hourly  in  Saint Augustine, FL
    Current Employee - Hourly in Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Still looking for one. Does not getting any training count? Maybe having all nite shifts, till 11:00 P.M.?? I know.....lots and lots of weekends when you offer an open availability.

Cons

Where Pets come first is only a clever marketing slogan at this location. Truth be known, I found pets that were for sale; sick , beat up, and neglected almost every shift. Employees are never given enough time to properly care for them. Sales come first,not pets,not customers, not staff. It's all about the numbers look great! Not too hard to boast when your the only pet store in the city. Come on Mr. James M. Myers wake up. I invite you to St. Augustine any night or weekend to visit your St. Augustine location here, with - NO- inter-company knowelge. A true no-know visit. Are you ready to see how we live? Please see if you can eat in a break room where free range cats get vac's. By all means use the bath rooms. Please think about using the fridge for your food, or the microwave. All this should give you a pretty good idea of how YOUR animals are cared for. Mr. Myers, your employees are not treated any better than the animals, pretty scary right?

For goodness sake, please go into retail, where the stock does not need to breath. Or get some -one in the St. Augustine location that cares more about pets than numbers. Get an a.s.m. that isn't guilty of dating an hourly employee(against company policy). And by all means, come any weekend or weekday evening and try to get help, any help from any personal that isn't already over worked. The store manager and a.s.m. have loads of excuses, little store hours, and despite that, all their employees still do their very best. The crew are very hard working caring people, doing their best, even with the bad hand that the are being delt.

PETCO.....PET-NO

Current Employee - Retail Assistant Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco

Pros

The benefits of working for PETCO are competitive salaries, and an enjoyable atmosphere if you are a pet person. They also have a fair 401k for lower level employees. Also working in San Diego our store usually receives Padres tickets.

Cons

The long hours are the main downside of working in the store it seems as if there are always more things that need to be completed. The other thing is the degrading talent of lower level employees, we are receiving more applicants who love pets but don't have the retail experience to effectively run our store.

Management needs to give the actual stores more room to operate and listen to the input that each manager has. Management is really caught up on there way but they are not in the stores and know what works.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!