Petco

www.petco.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

ringing up customer items at counter

Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Petco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy, plenty of hours, getting to see pets

Cons

retail hours, weekends, crabby customers

close on weekends

744 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

A roller coaster ride every day! Working with animals is very satisfying, love them all.Just wish we'd get recognition.

Current Employee - Pet Groomer
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a job, doing what I love! In todays economy I feel lucky to have a job. Although making money is getting harder all the time. We work on commission, so now we are so over staffed that its hard to make money. More groomers all making commission, they don't lose a dime if they over staff!

Cons

Low Pay, Rules that are absolutely wrong. Suits deciding what a groomer can and can't do, when all you need is an educated staff!

Treat all your associates with some respect when its due. I feel if you put in years of dedicated service you should be appreciated for that! Stop hiring children (emotionally) who only want to party and last at the store for a couple months. Pay more, you get more!

Great concepts, poor excecution

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

PETCO has a lot of great direction in regards to training and customer service procedures. The interactions with customers are usually very fun, as most people enjoy talking about their pets. You can learn A TON about animal health and nutrition, as well as behavior and general psychology. I was surprised how much I was able to learn.

Cons

The training, although very well structured, is not executed per written protocol. My managers never demonstrated anything to me on the floor, and all I was ever told was to "read these things/watch these videos/do these computer quizzes then go out and start working." The training schedule is up to me to set up around my regularly scheduled shifts (which I consider my FREE TIME) and is so disorganized that often many associates will show up for training simultaneously and one person will have to go home. No one ever checked in on my progress or checked my learning on the floor. Everything was a computer quiz, open book. There is NO communication between managers, through employees, and certainly not between the management and associate teams. It's insane.

Use the empty communication book you have sitting in the office collecting dust. Keep all the employees on the same page and up to date about happenings in the store on a consistent basis, not just when you happen to think about it. Follow the training schedule protocol and check in with new employees as they go through their training. Set established procedures for regular tasks and make sure it's consistent with every member of the staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco