Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Great Company Culture!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Talent Programs & Systems in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Manager, Talent Programs & Systems in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally, people who love animals are nice people. Petco is a very collaborative culture and the people who work here are great. I get to bring my dog to work and wear casual jeans all summer long. They have dog parks, foosball and a Wii as well as a beautiful facility in San Antonio. They really are great about following their values: Integrity, Learning, Continuous Improvement, Teamwork, Performance, Recognition and FUN!

Cons

For corporate associates, it is difficult that we do not get benefits for 3 months and are unable to contribute to the 401K for a year.

Adjust the benefits by audience. Corporate has less turnover than retail so offer them benefits to complete with other corporate jobs and not other retail jobs.

678 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Fun but corporate doesn't appreciate employees

Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist
    Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's fun! Working with animals and their owners can be very rewarding. There's lots of room for moving up as long as you don't have family and you totally devote your time to the work.

Cons

No full time associates - only for management. Skimpy raises. The success of the company does not benefit the associates. The corporate big wigs do not understand how the stores function on a day to day, task to task basis.

Give your employees more hours!!!

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Petco has always been a friendly, casual work environment. Not too stressful at all. I started as a dog groomer and loved it. The grooming managers were always very laid back, easy to work with and gave great advice and help when needed. The customers were generally friendly and happy with our services. The pay is commission based for groomers. Its nice because you can move up in commision percentages once your available openly, and show you can handle the job.

Cons

The only cons were at one point all of the store managers started to quit and the only manager left had to fill the GM (general managers) spot. She was very mean and liked to start drama between the employees. No one there liked her but she got the position by default. She ended up doing some questionable things that she knew were going to get her fired, so she ended up quitting... but that was my experience with the store management.

They shouldn't just throw the next in line into that high up general management position when it needs to be filled. They should bring in someone from another store if needed until the positon is filled by a qualified applicant.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco