There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Not the worst job in the world but would not stay there long term

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Have been working there for five months and have been allowed to take unpaid time off twice to visit family (a three day weekend and later a full week).

Reasonably flexible schedule (I suppose that varies between stores depending on the manager)

Pay is slightly higher than minimum wage (only slightly but every quarter counts)

Decent amount of hours for part time employees (usually around 16-22 hours a week, again that probably varies between stores)

Cons

Too much pressure on opening staff. One associate and one manager trying to hold down the fort until a cashier comes in later in the morning results in being pressured to rush through animals and get on the cash register so the manager can get things done.

After working there for a few months you realize how skeezy the pet trade really is. Even in a relatively clean store with knowledgeable and caring animal managers it is still a corporation, and when it comes down to it, making money is more important to them than making sure each store has the resources to fully and properly care for their live animals.

The new system of keeping track of customer engagements is good in theory, but much more difficult to practice in reality, and makes the job more complicated than it needs to be.

More employees working at a time would be helpful. It is impossible for one opening associate to both do animals and work the register during their shift when you have to deep clean every cage twice a week, and as a result a lot of cages don't get cleaned as often as they should be. I would like to see a position in which an associate is not expected to cashier at all and is there specifically to clean cages and care for animals (perhaps after hours).

600 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Very challenging

Former Employee - Bather
    Former Employee - Bather

I worked at Petco full-time

Pros

Not a good enviroment to work

Cons

I dont know what to say

It is a wonderful place to work for, if you are looking for a non-temp job.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The animals and your regular customers. I also love the people I work with.

Cons

Upset customers, but you get that in any retail environment.

Listen to your associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!