There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Great stepping Stone for college student

Former Employee - Space Management Planner in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Space Management Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast- paced, industry trend setting

Cons

no defined career path for growth

collaboration among-st teams in other depts.

reviews filtered by

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice customers, get to work with animals

Cons

Too many to list here.

My impression of this company as that they just don't care at all about their employees. My years there involved getting blamed and written up for things managers told me to do, employees gossiping like idiotic high school children and the managers doing nothing about it, and overall unfair treatment and favoritism. The prettier girls got promoted faster because my managers were all men, so there I sat, an excellent worker, Cashier for Life.

They consistently made sure my hours were as erratic as possible. I could not budget. One week I got 35 hours, the next week they gave me 14. They would change my schedule at random without notifying me and I would still have to deal with the penalties of coming in late. I was constantly needing to reschedule appointments, cancel plans, and it got to the point where I just did not do ANYTHING ever because I knew they would either call me in or change my schedule again. On average I only made 600 a month at Petco despite having an 8.14 wage. Before I finally quit to go to a better job that appreciates hard work more, they were cutting my hours to one day a week. I was extremely depressed about my life and very unhappy in general while working here because of how I was treated.

Petco does not care about whether or not you can afford rent, food, or transportation. It is a greedy company and you will just be another useless number to upper management. Unless you have manager experience I would stay as far away from this place as possible. The managers look out for each other and happily throw employees under the bus. One of my managers was a RAGING alcoholic and often came to work drunk. He did his job poorly and was responsible for a lot of my troubles. He was allowed to keep his job despite drinking on the premises multiple times but those of us who don't matter to the company had our jobs threatened daily for lesser mistakes. He even allowed a baby ferret to die because he didn't feel like giving it medicine it needed to recover from a cold...and I'm sure they all covered it up so he could stay there.

He consistently gave unwarranted discounts to his friends, one time which he made me scan 11 dollars off worth of coupons. They caught it and I was written up while he sat next to me SMILING.

My advice to management is to value your "lesser" employees more. We do all the stuff YOU don't want to do, every day, cleaning, facing, everything, and you treat us like we are useless dogs. The district manager never even looks at us when he visits yet we do 90% of the work for the store. We are never appreciated or rewarded, and Petco refuses to promote people to full time just to save money. Fix all of these problems and maybe, someday, you'll be a decent company.

I will never recommend Petco as an employment option and I would die of starvation before going back there. The customers are great, the pets are wonderful, but it's full of selfish people who don't want to man up and say, "No, that was my fault". I am certain if I had stayed there I'd have been fired eventually for someone else's mistake. You cannot get ahead in this company, you cannot get recognition for your hard work, and you cannot get appreciation for anything you do from any of the managers most of the time.

Great for awhile, but not a lot of advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+ Good if you are going to school or need part time employment and not make a lot of money
    + A lot of positive people

Cons

- Not a lot of chance for advancement
    - "Boys club" you either need to be married into or dating someone to be promoted.

Look at moving general managers more. It seems that some just sit and stay in there office and not a lot of help. Would do good for a fresh look on the company

There are newer employer reviews for Petco