There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Great stepping Stone for college student

Former Employee - Space Management Planner in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Space Management Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast- paced, industry trend setting

Cons

no defined career path for growth

Advice to Management

collaboration among-st teams in other depts.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice customers, get to work with animals

Cons

Too many to list here.

Advice to Management

My impression of this company as that they just don't care at all about their employees. My years there involved getting blamed and written up for things managers told me to do, employees gossiping like idiotic high school children and the managers doing nothing about it, and overall unfair treatment and favoritism. The prettier girls got promoted faster because my managers were all men, so there I sat, an excellent worker, Cashier for Life. They consistently made sure my hours were as erratic as possible. I could not budget. One week I got 35 hours, the next week they gave me 14. They would change my schedule at random without notifying me and I would still have to deal with the penalties of coming in late. I was constantly needing to reschedule appointments, cancel plans, and it got to the point where I just did not do ANYTHING ever because I knew they would either call me in or change my schedule again. On average I only made 600 a month at Petco despite having an 8.14 wage. Before I finally quit to go to a better job that appreciates hard work more, they were cutting my hours to one day a week. I was extremely depressed about my life and very unhappy in general while working here because of how I was treated. Petco does not care about whether or not you can afford rent, food, or transportation. It is a greedy company and you will just be another useless number to upper management. Unless you have manager experience I would stay as far away from this place as possible. The managers look out for each other and happily throw employees under the bus. One of my managers was a RAGING alcoholic and often came to work drunk. He did his job poorly and was responsible for a lot of my troubles. He was allowed to keep his job despite drinking on the premises multiple times but those of us who don't matter to the company had our jobs threatened daily for lesser mistakes. He even allowed a baby ferret to die because he didn't feel like giving it medicine it needed to recover from a cold...and I'm sure they all covered it up so he could stay there. He consistently gave unwarranted discounts to his friends, one time which he made me scan 11 dollars off worth of coupons. They caught it and I was written up while he sat next to me SMILING. My advice to management is to value your "lesser" employees more. We do all the stuff YOU don't want to do, every day, cleaning, facing, everything, and you treat us like we are useless dogs. The district manager never even looks at us when he visits yet we do 90% of the work for the store. We are never appreciated or rewarded, and Petco refuses to promote people to full time just to save money. Fix all of these problems and maybe, someday, you'll be a decent company. I will never recommend Petco as an employment option and I would die of starvation before going back there. The customers are great, the pets are wonderful, but it's full of selfish people who don't want to man up and say, "No, that was my fault". I am certain if I had stayed there I'd have been fired eventually for someone else's mistake. You cannot get ahead in this company, you cannot get recognition for your hard work, and you cannot get appreciation for anything you do from any of the managers most of the time.

Theory better than reality for Grooming staff.

Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager in Groom, TX
    Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager in Groom, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable work environment with access to customers in store to convert to grooming clients. Benefits not usually given to grooming professionals outside of a corporation...ie...medical, dental, vision, etc..etc..also paid time off is unheard of in the "real" grooming world!

Cons

The expectations placed on grooming staff are some of the most ignorant and naïve I have ever come across! I understand the need to create relationships with our clients but they come from the thought that that relationship doesn't exist in the first place. We keep our clients because we produce a good product AND of our relationship with them. Job division in the Salon should be changed to ensure work output!.. Groomers should ...GROOM! The distractions in the salon for the pets AND groomers are the worst conditions I have come across. Most groomers are used to doing just that...someone else (assistant)...answers phones...bathes and dries the pets...cleans...errands...paper work...phone calls etc...etc! Petco's grooming is staffed where basically one person is to juggle all the above. We are responsible for the safety of the pets entrusted to us and too many times to count there are close calls to snipping an ear, poking an eye...or nicking a pad because the traffic in the salon is outrageous!...the pets become so distracted and the grooming comes to a complete standstill until the dog is checked in...checked out...nails clipped or filed...and or other associates are done dragging equipment to the back to hose off!. In the course of the day we are required to call the previous days clients to ensure satisfaction and those phone calls at best can last 10-15 minutes after hearing what FeFe did after his haircut! So if you groomed 5-6 dogs one day ...you can expect to be on the phone 45-60 minutes! (and that is trying to cut the conversations short) We aew also required to go on the floor to speak with customers about our services for at least an hour a day. We are lucky to get out to the floor for 30 minutes! In order to make a decent competitive wage Groomers HAVE to do at least 5 dogs a day. Without our other responsibilities and distractions most groomers can do 7-8 dogs a day...in the real world! Veery frustrating for some use to a better income!

Advice to Management

As above my advise would be to utilize staff in the groom shop better. I think the GSM should be salaried and bonuses given...she/he would be freed up to develop these relationships and all clients daily. Helping other groomers to check in the dogs...facilitate paperwork per pet.and decrease distractions in the salon via running interference. It is a very chaotic environment that lend to huge amount of stress and our pets sense this I'm sure! Grooming assistants should be utilized better than just doing bath dogs...they should also be more involved in assisting the groomers. Cleaning is a HUGE time consumer and expectations of the groomers is...cleaning the salon is sometimes left to the sole groomer that closes! (a lot of work) I know there is no easy answer but I think if a few changes were made retention of staff would be greater.