Fufilling

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the paid time off benefits are exceptional, the best as far as animal care.

Cons

Cleaning of animal habitats is inevitable and also the health benefits package could see some improvement but overall everything is good.

Advice to Management

Open door policy & documentation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you liked high school and all the drama, you will love Petco.

Former Employee - General Manager in Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to see the dogs come in, and working with pet owners to find them suitable products to fit their needs.

Cons

Employees that are immature, unseasoned group and assistant managers with poor judgment and inexperienced, Unsupportive DM, Sales goal expectations that are so high there is no chance of meeting them, the constant donation goals to be met, impossibility of hiring experienced staff in a small market, there are way too many things that I could list-but if you are over 30, and expecting to go into the company as a GM, you are going to have some problems.
    Going into the job I was pushed to fire a member of the staff from day one, before I could assess the issues of why they were being fired. Into the first 4 months I realized that the allegations made against the individual came from another employee, who was causing problems because they felt I had taken their job. When I discussed this with the offending employee, I was told how they resented me being there, and that they would find a way to get me out. Then I overheard this individual ( a member of management no less) speaking with another manager about how they could get rid of me by making similar accusations. I realized then that such allegations could ruin my career of 20 years in retail, so I left. I tried to approach my DM numerous times about these issues, but felt he was very unsupportive. Every member of management is required to carry a cell phone (at your dime) , and I began to see that this was used as a lifeline for disgruntled managers to part out their frustrations to other store managers-so you had CONSTANT interference from other stores in your building. If they were unhappy, they could "doctor" an area of the store and take photos to send to other managers, or even corporate. Belligerent threatening texts were an everyday fare in my time there.
    Because your staff is so young and immature, there is very little work ethic. It is like driving nails to get the basics done with them. Even your group/department managers are young and rather inexperienced to the basic tenets of retail. If you liked high school antics and drama, you will flourish at Petco.
    Don't let the money they pay fool you-there was no satisfaction, no peace, no tranquility. And cleaning those nasty cages and tanks-picking up feces, and taking a 3 dollar rat being sold as snake food to the vet and incurring a $150 vet bill is no picnic. In over 35 years of working, this was by far the worst job I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Do more investigation into why a General Manager leaves. Do more investigation on sexual harassment issues, especially the ones that are filing them. Listen to your General Managers when they reach out to the DMs. Remove the cell phones from the group managers and assistants-they are just portals to drama that the company is requiring. Watch what your DMs are doing at their meetings and conferences-are they modeling a professional behavior? Stop the boozing and cruising attitudes at these meetings, and the touch football games in the parking lots. At the last meeting I attended I was embarrassed to be a part of this group.

2. Great stepping Stone for college student

Former Employee - Space Management Planner in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Space Management Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast- paced, industry trend setting

Cons

no defined career path for growth

Advice to Management

collaboration among-st teams in other depts.