There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Not the worst but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Petco for over two and a half years now. Honestly, the only real pro I can think of is the coworkers I personally work with. We are basically a family at the store I work at (except for the store manager) and the overall environment is usually pretty good. If it weren't for them, I'd be gone long ago.

Cons

I have two different store managers and they both are/were ATROCIOUS. Very poor management, rude, spiteful, care only about money, etc. Also, I definitely agree with someone else who said that one of the main complaints from customers is that the stores are understaffed. Like that person said, there are not enough hours given to said stores. This means that unless you are full time, your hours aren't going to be so great most of the time. Being that Petco is a corporate store, I strongly believe that their motto "Animals always come first" is a load. Money comes first. Also the policies and regulations are a bit off in some ways. The things they make us do such as tracking each customer we speak to, what their pet's name was, what we recommended they buy, what services we recommended, whether or not we asked for carry out, etc is rather ridiculous. If you are passionate about animals and don't mind what may be lower pay, you are much better off working at a quality privately owned pet shop.

Hire better store managers who are as passionate, if not more, about animals as their associates and who know how to manage. Also, provide more store hours. I feel that budgets are too high sometimes and we always get negative feedback on our monthly promoters because there are not enough employees on the floor.

629 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Difficult to fire people, even when they should get fired

I worked at Petco

Pros

If you show up everyday on time and work your shift, you can almost always keep your job.

Cons

The smell of the place!

Give more payroll hours per store. Even if the hourly rates are low you can hire more people to help.

Not a high paying dream career, but will do if you need to make some extra money.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor/Cashier in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor/Cashier in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great if you love animals. Nice Co-workers and great team effort. Our 20% associate's discount.

Cons

Not enough time in morning to clean habitats and take care of small animals. Hours change weekly and that can be hard when you have young children at home to take care of. Working weekends are usually mandatory. Pay is slightly above minimum wage and does not pay enough to support a family. Perfect if your significant other is making a decent salary and you are just looking to make a little extra money on the side or to get out of the house.

Have at least more than one opening manager and one employee scheduled in the morning so they can clean and properly give the small animals and fish the care they need without us having to do a rush job before the store opens every day. Corporate does not give the general manager enough hours to get this done.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco