There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Not the worst but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Petco for over two and a half years now. Honestly, the only real pro I can think of is the coworkers I personally work with. We are basically a family at the store I work at (except for the store manager) and the overall environment is usually pretty good. If it weren't for them, I'd be gone long ago.

Cons

I have two different store managers and they both are/were ATROCIOUS. Very poor management, rude, spiteful, care only about money, etc. Also, I definitely agree with someone else who said that one of the main complaints from customers is that the stores are understaffed. Like that person said, there are not enough hours given to said stores. This means that unless you are full time, your hours aren't going to be so great most of the time. Being that Petco is a corporate store, I strongly believe that their motto "Animals always come first" is a load. Money comes first. Also the policies and regulations are a bit off in some ways. The things they make us do such as tracking each customer we speak to, what their pet's name was, what we recommended they buy, what services we recommended, whether or not we asked for carry out, etc is rather ridiculous. If you are passionate about animals and don't mind what may be lower pay, you are much better off working at a quality privately owned pet shop.

Advice to Management

Hire better store managers who are as passionate, if not more, about animals as their associates and who know how to manage. Also, provide more store hours. I feel that budgets are too high sometimes and we always get negative feedback on our monthly promoters because there are not enough employees on the floor.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Better than most groomer positions because petco has job security.

Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair pay. Easy to stay off radar from Supervisors if you have a great smile and a joke in your pocket. Okay tips. Almost all supplies are freely given to employees now. Job security (mom & pops can fire you out of the blue just because their business isn't doing well.) Also benefits for PT and FT.

Cons

Vacation pay needs work(check out Petsmart.) Blue Cross Blue Shield was better. Bad hands on training as new salon hire. Many coupons are sent out to get business but your never sure which are getting taken off your paycheck also management likes to give out their own discounts(can make it difficult to find out if your paycheck is correct.) Computer server system is problematic.

Always new programs to come out and be put on top of a list that is already far to big. Calls to be made: 5 different calls in a 4 day period for every single customer. When checking in customer: 35 things to say/ask, go over, physically check. and at Pick up: 6 things to say/ask, go over, handout(you as a groomer, not bather for a possible 30 min conversation while other dogs are waiting to be finished).

Standing/Bending/Lifting for 6-12 hours per shift will take a toll on your back/wrists/knees/hands(new hires please always take your 30 min lunch while sitting, team lift, only take dogs you can truly handle and when at home try not to do more than 2 hours of strenuous activity with Epsom salt baths and icy hot relief afterwards or you will age faster than most.)

Advice to Management

New ideas are invented to make things easier/faster/less waste/time efficient, all around better. Its one thing to gain certain information from a client because this isn't an around the corner saloon where everyone knows your name. Its quite another to have your employee and customers stand at a desk for no lie at the most an sometimes regular, hour and a half because we need to inform, listen and ask about all aspect of a clients pet and personally for me to remember everything about them, my other 250+ regular customers, with random walk-ins that only have questions, plus my once/twice a year clients.

Also in between what corporate expects is a completely scheduled to the minute day although our time requirements are also based on customers speaking of their loved ones and cats/dogs table habits/needs and that overtime is forbidden... you must also stand around the store and sell/help clients for an hour each work day. Non busy days... no problem... busy days we all are doing the best we can while trying to take a scheduled lunch that hopefully wont make the rest of our dogs late to get out(keep in mind I do under the typical amount of grooms than most, thank you).

Business outlook will be lower over time due to economy-incorrect breed pricing-not enough staff during random a.m. and p.m. shifts(absolutely never know when it will be busy)-(most customers consider) way to much time in salon dropping off and picking up-no vet on staff so pup can get updated rabies at time of making appointment-rude and uninformed bathers who they speak to the most-Ratio of customer calls made/+profit from clients appointments definitely needs to be researched(not exact to me but most I discuss with outside of work do not appreciate calls unless around busy holiday season. i.e. Christmas and Thanksgiving)

2. Good company to work for

I worked at Petco

Pros

Great benefits and great hours

Cons

Sometimes management was not the best