Petco

www.petco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Amazing staff & experience for a college student

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Mooresville, NC
Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Petco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great interpersonal relations between management & staff, discounts, genuine caring attitude towards concerns, great customer relations

Cons

Sometimes managers aren't held entirely accountable for their departments

Make managers of different store areas more accountable for those they are assigned to micromanage.

721 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Better than most groomer positions because petco has job security.

Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair pay. Easy to stay off radar from Supervisors if you have a great smile and a joke in your pocket. Okay tips. Almost all supplies are freely given to employees now. Job security (mom & pops can fire you out of the blue just because their business isn't doing well.) Also benefits for PT and FT.

Cons

Vacation pay needs work(check out Petsmart.) Blue Cross Blue Shield was better. Bad hands on training as new salon hire. Many coupons are sent out to get business but your never sure which are getting taken off your paycheck also management likes to give out their own discounts(can make it difficult to find out if your paycheck is correct.) Computer server system is problematic.

Always new programs to come out and be put on top of a list that is already far to big. Calls to be made: 5 different calls in a 4 day period for every single customer. When checking in customer: 35 things to say/ask, go over, physically check. and at Pick up: 6 things to say/ask, go over, handout(you as a groomer, not bather for a possible 30 min conversation while other dogs are waiting to be finished).

Standing/Bending/Lifting for 6-12 hours per shift will take a toll on your back/wrists/knees/hands(new hires please always take your 30 min lunch while sitting, team lift, only take dogs you can truly handle and when at home try not to do more than 2 hours of strenuous activity with Epsom salt baths and icy hot relief afterwards or you will age faster than most.)

New ideas are invented to make things easier/faster/less waste/time efficient, all around better. Its one thing to gain certain information from a client because this isn't an around the corner saloon where everyone knows your name. Its quite another to have your employee and customers stand at a desk for no lie at the most an sometimes regular, hour and a half because we need to inform, listen and ask about all aspect of a clients pet and personally for me to remember everything about them, my other 250+ regular customers, with random walk-ins that only have questions, plus my once/twice a year clients.

Also in between what corporate expects is a completely scheduled to the minute day although our time requirements are also based on customers speaking of their loved ones and cats/dogs table habits/needs and that overtime is forbidden... you must also stand around the store and sell/help clients for an hour each work day. Non busy days... no problem... busy days we all are doing the best we can while trying to take a scheduled lunch that hopefully wont make the rest of our dogs late to get out(keep in mind I do under the typical amount of grooms than most, thank you).

Business outlook will be lower over time due to economy-incorrect breed pricing-not enough staff during random a.m. and p.m. shifts(absolutely never know when it will be busy)-(most customers consider) way to much time in salon dropping off and picking up-no vet on staff so pup can get updated rabies at time of making appointment-rude and uninformed bathers who they speak to the most-Ratio of customer calls made/+profit from clients appointments definitely needs to be researched(not exact to me but most I discuss with outside of work do not appreciate calls unless around busy holiday season. i.e. Christmas and Thanksgiving)

Good company to work for

I worked at Petco

Pros

Great benefits and great hours

Cons

Sometimes management was not the best

There are newer employer reviews for Petco