Difficult to fire people, even when they should get fired

I worked at Petco

Pros

If you show up everyday on time and work your shift, you can almost always keep your job.

Cons

The smell of the place!

Give more payroll hours per store. Even if the hourly rates are low you can hire more people to help.

Other Reviews for Petco

Amazing staff & experience for a college student

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant  in  Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Petco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great interpersonal relations between management & staff, discounts, genuine caring attitude towards concerns, great customer relations

Cons

Sometimes managers aren't held entirely accountable for their departments

Make managers of different store areas more accountable for those they are assigned to micromanage.

Not the worst but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Petco part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been working at Petco for over two and a half years now. Honestly, the only real pro I can think of is the coworkers I personally work with. We are basically a family at the store I work at (except for the store manager) and the overall environment is usually pretty good. If it weren't for them, I'd be gone long ago.

Cons

I have two different store managers and they both are/were ATROCIOUS. Very poor management, rude, spiteful, care only about money, etc. Also, I definitely agree with someone else who said that one of the main complaints from customers is that the stores are understaffed. Like that person said, there are not enough hours given to said stores. This means that unless you are full time, your hours aren't going to be so great most of the time. Being that Petco is a corporate store, I strongly believe that their motto "Animals always come first" is a load. Money comes first. Also the policies and regulations are a bit off in some ways. The things they make us do such as tracking each customer we speak to, what their pet's name was, what we recommended they buy, what services we recommended, whether or not we asked for carry out, etc is rather ridiculous. If you are passionate about animals and don't mind what may be lower pay, you are much better off working at a quality privately owned pet shop.

Hire better store managers who are as passionate, if not more, about animals as their associates and who know how to manage. Also, provide more store hours. I feel that budgets are too high sometimes and we always get negative feedback on our monthly promoters because there are not enough employees on the floor.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!