There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some people and animals were fun to work with

Cons

For a few years I had a very positive experience with this company with little to no complaints. Then I transferred to this location. In my entire tenure as a retail employee NEVER have I been brought into the office so many times in my entire life! For the littlest things! The words micro manage or OCD are good beginnings to describe upper management. They never applaud you for what good you do and constantly berate you if ANYTHING bad happens. Even joke about it afterward to twist the knife in your back even further.

Will also promise you things like promotions then hire someone new on the spot for the position you thought you were going to get.

Then again this location isn't alone in hiring lack-luster management.

Advice to Management

Get PNP certified. STAT! Then maybe clean house! Stop lying to your associates. When you promise them something, follow through. All reputable businesses do. Also it isn't exactly a positive experience to yell/belittle someone over a headset when the ENTIRE STAFF can HEAR YOU!!

reviews filtered by

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Petco has decent benefits for a retail employer; After six months I was able to get affordable healthcare coverage, After six more, I was eligible for their 401K to which they contribute 50 cents for each dollar the employee contributes (up to 6% of pay).

Cons

Management at my store had a tendency toward favoritism, not merit when it came to promotions. They did not always follow the "animals come first" policy that corporate set in place, either. If an animal became ill, it might be removed from the sales floor and kept in a back room to die if the vet expense was more than the animal was "worth."

Advice to Management

Devise and enforce policies that truly promote companion animal well-being. Do not "punish" management for being over-budget when it comes to vet bills. Separate vet expense from other store expenses and stop using vendors who consistently deliver unhealthy livestock.

Not the worst but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Petco for over two and a half years now. Honestly, the only real pro I can think of is the coworkers I personally work with. We are basically a family at the store I work at (except for the store manager) and the overall environment is usually pretty good. If it weren't for them, I'd be gone long ago.

Cons

I have two different store managers and they both are/were ATROCIOUS. Very poor management, rude, spiteful, care only about money, etc. Also, I definitely agree with someone else who said that one of the main complaints from customers is that the stores are understaffed. Like that person said, there are not enough hours given to said stores. This means that unless you are full time, your hours aren't going to be so great most of the time. Being that Petco is a corporate store, I strongly believe that their motto "Animals always come first" is a load. Money comes first. Also the policies and regulations are a bit off in some ways. The things they make us do such as tracking each customer we speak to, what their pet's name was, what we recommended they buy, what services we recommended, whether or not we asked for carry out, etc is rather ridiculous. If you are passionate about animals and don't mind what may be lower pay, you are much better off working at a quality privately owned pet shop.

Advice to Management

Hire better store managers who are as passionate, if not more, about animals as their associates and who know how to manage. Also, provide more store hours. I feel that budgets are too high sometimes and we always get negative feedback on our monthly promoters because there are not enough employees on the floor.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco