Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some people and animals were fun to work with

Cons

For a few years I had a very positive experience with this company with little to no complaints. Then I transferred to this location. In my entire tenure as a retail employee NEVER have I been brought into the office so many times in my entire life! For the littlest things! The words micro manage or OCD are good beginnings to describe upper management. They never applaud you for what good you do and constantly berate you if ANYTHING bad happens. Even joke about it afterward to twist the knife in your back even further.

Will also promise you things like promotions then hire someone new on the spot for the position you thought you were going to get.

Then again this location isn't alone in hiring lack-luster management.

Get PNP certified. STAT! Then maybe clean house! Stop lying to your associates. When you promise them something, follow through. All reputable businesses do. Also it isn't exactly a positive experience to yell/belittle someone over a headset when the ENTIRE STAFF can HEAR YOU!!

678 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Staff had sticky fingers, management was poor, and conditions were gross.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Golden, CO

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work around people who love animals. Truck day always passed by quickly.

Cons

The management was terrible. Room for advancement was slim.

Pay more attention to the needs of your staff

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Petco has decent benefits for a retail employer; After six months I was able to get affordable healthcare coverage, After six more, I was eligible for their 401K to which they contribute 50 cents for each dollar the employee contributes (up to 6% of pay).

Cons

Management at my store had a tendency toward favoritism, not merit when it came to promotions. They did not always follow the "animals come first" policy that corporate set in place, either. If an animal became ill, it might be removed from the sales floor and kept in a back room to die if the vet expense was more than the animal was "worth."

Devise and enforce policies that truly promote companion animal well-being. Do not "punish" management for being over-budget when it comes to vet bills. Separate vet expense from other store expenses and stop using vendors who consistently deliver unhealthy livestock.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco