There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worst job of my life

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Charlottesville, VA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some people and animals were fun to work with

Cons

For a few years I had a very positive experience with this company with little to no complaints. Then I transferred to this location. In my entire tenure as a retail employee NEVER have I been brought into the office so many times in my entire life! For the littlest things! The words micro manage or OCD are good beginnings to describe upper management. They never applaud you for what good you do and constantly berate you if ANYTHING bad happens. Even joke about it afterward to twist the knife in your back even further.

Will also promise you things like promotions then hire someone new on the spot for the position you thought you were going to get.

Then again this location isn't alone in hiring lack-luster management.

Get PNP certified. STAT! Then maybe clean house! Stop lying to your associates. When you promise them something, follow through. All reputable businesses do. Also it isn't exactly a positive experience to yell/belittle someone over a headset when the ENTIRE STAFF can HEAR YOU!!

603 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

PETCO is a great company, but the individual stores should be reassessed.

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals and having the opportunity to learn more about animal care and welfare is great. You get to meet wonderful people and try your best to educate them on how to give their pets a wonderful life

Cons

I believe in their motto that animals always come first, but I don't feel it when I go into work. Management is not competent at managing their staff in my own store. I wish that the company made sure that they hired in managers that cared about all of the animals, as well as for the well-being of the store and employees. Also, pay is terrible for having to do so much. Also, training is not as great as it should be for being an ethical company. Not enough people are trained well enough to know the products, and the employees who do know are ignored by the upper manager. All of the good employees stay as long as they can for the animals but sooner or later have to leave for their health.

Listen to your employees, do not over work them. Keep the employees that truly care about the animals and don't focus on trying to make the sales and PALS sign ups more important than the well-being of the animals. Do not be afraid of district management and their visits - They are there to help and keep the stores in check, not trying to trick you. They want to make sure that the stores are always on point, so don't wait until the day before a visit to make sure everything looks good and the animals are well taken care of. That isn't what PETCO stands for, your only looking out for your own self-interest, and that doesn't belong in this company.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Petco part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice customers, get to work with animals

Cons

Too many to list here.

My impression of this company as that they just don't care at all about their employees. My years there involved getting blamed and written up for things managers told me to do, employees gossiping like idiotic high school children and the managers doing nothing about it, and overall unfair treatment and favoritism. The prettier girls got promoted faster because my managers were all men, so there I sat, an excellent worker, Cashier for Life.

They consistently made sure my hours were as erratic as possible. I could not budget. One week I got 35 hours, the next week they gave me 14. They would change my schedule at random without notifying me and I would still have to deal with the penalties of coming in late. I was constantly needing to reschedule appointments, cancel plans, and it got to the point where I just did not do ANYTHING ever because I knew they would either call me in or change my schedule again. On average I only made 600 a month at Petco despite having an 8.14 wage. Before I finally quit to go to a better job that appreciates hard work more, they were cutting my hours to one day a week. I was extremely depressed about my life and very unhappy in general while working here because of how I was treated.

Petco does not care about whether or not you can afford rent, food, or transportation. It is a greedy company and you will just be another useless number to upper management. Unless you have manager experience I would stay as far away from this place as possible. The managers look out for each other and happily throw employees under the bus. One of my managers was a RAGING alcoholic and often came to work drunk. He did his job poorly and was responsible for a lot of my troubles. He was allowed to keep his job despite drinking on the premises multiple times but those of us who don't matter to the company had our jobs threatened daily for lesser mistakes. He even allowed a baby ferret to die because he didn't feel like giving it medicine it needed to recover from a cold...and I'm sure they all covered it up so he could stay there.

He consistently gave unwarranted discounts to his friends, one time which he made me scan 11 dollars off worth of coupons. They caught it and I was written up while he sat next to me SMILING.

My advice to management is to value your "lesser" employees more. We do all the stuff YOU don't want to do, every day, cleaning, facing, everything, and you treat us like we are useless dogs. The district manager never even looks at us when he visits yet we do 90% of the work for the store. We are never appreciated or rewarded, and Petco refuses to promote people to full time just to save money. Fix all of these problems and maybe, someday, you'll be a decent company.

I will never recommend Petco as an employment option and I would die of starvation before going back there. The customers are great, the pets are wonderful, but it's full of selfish people who don't want to man up and say, "No, that was my fault". I am certain if I had stayed there I'd have been fired eventually for someone else's mistake. You cannot get ahead in this company, you cannot get recognition for your hard work, and you cannot get appreciation for anything you do from any of the managers most of the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!