Petco

www.petco.com

companion animal dept manager

Pros

nice people , manager really cares !

Cons

people are idiots ! customers

pay more attention to you staff . they needs to be trained !

Other reviews for Petco

Not what they used to be

Current Employee - Grooming Assistant  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Windsor, CT

Pros

The fellow employees(not upper management)are great to work with. Work goes by quickly when you get along with fellow co workers.

You gain lots of experience with animals and your knowledge increases all the time.

Cons

Management, this goes all the way to the top, can't be bothered with our concerns. Seems that the squeaky wheel just gets replaced with another, cheaper wheel.

There are some safety issues with improperly sized gloves and poor training.

Grooming associates don't get raises despite the hard work we do, and the risks we take. Commission doesn't always work, especially in low flow stores. We overcharge and there is no compensation to the staff. We get paid minimum wage and can't cover cost of living. I have to get state assistance and I work full time!

Please listen to your employees. Act as if every complaint is one that will cost you your job if you dismiss it. Fire useless employees and actively look for better candidates. Your employees make the store run, help make a difference.

Dead end job. Promotions from within make way less than hires off the street for the same job.

Pros

Flexible hours. Easy to master. They actually take phenomenal care of the animals.

Cons

Maximum of fifty cent raises from within. Meaning, if you're moving up from Sales Expert to a department manager, the MOST you can receive is a fifty cent raise. I've literally seen people get hired off the street make two dollars more for the same position with the same level of experience.

DEAD END JOB. No room for advancement unless you're willing to work on next to nothing. To be eligible for corporate jobs or higher end jobs, you have to be a store manager first. And, if you take minimum raise plus a few fifty cent raises, you can't live on that anyway.

I have my Bachelor's. They could care less as far as the job opportunities (or lack thereof) are concerned. Numbers matter more than employee morale.

Show more appreciation to current employees. After all, it is cheaper to keep current employees than to hire new ones.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!