There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Loved working with animals, hated my coworkers.

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant  in  Aurora, CO
Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Aurora, CO

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

working with animals, tips (in grooming)

Cons

poor management, minimum wage, not flexible schedule, turn-over

Don't ignore employee issues just because you can hire someone else.

603 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Frustrating

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You learn a lot about animals and can help change a pets life as long as the customers are willing to listen and believe in what you are teaching.

Cons

Upper management (DM, VP) ask a lot out of one person and tend to not put any blame on themselves and are unwilling to be available to teach or train their store managers. All they do is dictate and express disappointment over conference calls and threaten your employment. They never give GM's ASM's any praise for all the work they do. A lot of the time I was working 60+ hours a week just to keep up with the demands of our DM.

Stop dictating and realize how hard your employees are working. When stores are growing in business they need more payroll to help customers and keep the store clean. Also when a store is 20+ years old and a building is even older, spend money to update it (i.e. the floors) otherwise customers will always have something to complain about even if they have had the best service of their lives.

They really do stand by their beliefs- Animals come first.

Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager
    Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're really interested, and show potential, their are usually lots of opportunities for advancement under assistant manager.

Cons

Once you are ready to advance to assistant manger (and then perhaps on to general manager), there really aren't that many opportunities. If you think about it, someone else has to either quite, move, or die, or a new store open up somewhere in your district, in or to get promoted from lower management.

Also, they're not too great with pay raises, but then, in retail, who is now a days? I've worked for the company for 7 years, and I've only gone up by $3! My pay raise from associate to one of the lower manager positions was only 50 cents.

If a particular employee is really showing they're worth more, give them what they're worth, regardless of wether or not it's "review and pay raise" time. There's no better way to loose a good/great employee then to under value (pay) them.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!