There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Good Job but poor management.

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Very friendly place, everyone is very nice, I get to work with and help the animals to the best of my abilities. Always learning new things about the animals. Flexible hours.

Cons

Most of my hours I spend doing pointless things, such as changing a planogram. That takes alot of time and I have no where to put old stock, so it ends up just sitting in the back. (what was wrong with the old planogram?) When the truck comes in we end up with alot of stock we didnt need. What we do need takes weeks, even months to come in. GM says she has no control over what is shipped and cannot send anything back. Management gives me almost no direction. Limited number of workers so small things like mopping the floors and cleaning the bathrooms never get done because they are to busy moving stock around.

Advice to Management

Focus on more important things. Alot of time is wasted switching planograms and moving around stock. Check the inventory and order what is needed!

reviews filtered by
  1. nice place if you like pets

Current Employee - Pet Groomer
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer

I have been working at Petco

Pros

working with pets all day is a benefit. The pet owners are fun too. The salon manager is nice to me and teaches me all the time.

Cons

The hours are long and the general manager doesn't say much. If you are not careful you can get bit by a dog or cat

Advice to Management

spen more time talking to the staff. Pay more attention and praise when we make the customers happy and willing to come back

Skip it...There are better places to work

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Carle Place, NY
    Current Employee - Inventory Manager in Carle Place, NY

I have been working at Petco

Pros

A steady paycheck and plenty of time to goof off when no one is looking. The hours are good too. Benefits are average and generally if you work mornings, it's nice and quiet.

Cons

Assistants make approximately 30k less than general managers and if you get promoted they only give you a 6 or 7 % bump so you will never be on the same level as someone hired from the outside.
    Senior management has absolutely no clue what goes on in the stores. The kids that work here can make your life hell if they don't like you and want to. I've seen them get managers fired just by running to HR and telling some lies. Senior managers also change their mind on a whim , then expect the stores to redo prior directives with no payroll hours.
    Managers usually end up doing the grunt work because there are not enough payroll hours to have the kids do it.
    Animal always come first is an absolute lie! Managers scramble to make them look good when senior management is in town but the overall care is terrible. Mainly because there are not enough hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your managers need, make pay scales fair across the board and put the focus back on animal care.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco