Petco
www.petco.com San Diego, CA 5000+ Employees

General Manager waiting corporate decision on second background check in four months after being suspended with pay

General Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has been experiencing growing pains but appears to be heading in the right direction.

ConsThe company has been transitioning this past year by adding background checks to their employment applications. These background checks are inconsistent and bias based on the "flavor of the day" interpretation. How can two background checks within four months, with the exact information place an employee on paid suspension?

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency with background checks is the responsibility of Petco. Review your processes as it relates to an average background check in the retail industry which normally consists of a background check as it relates to criminal activity.

Fun job but low pay

Dog and Cat Department Manager (Current Employee)
Marietta, GA

I have been working at Petco full-time for less than a year

Pros: fun, easy job, and nice people to work with Cons: not enough to support family No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Unique, but wouldn't go back

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Vienna, VA

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros: -Working with animals -Learning about animals I got the job because there was a new Petco… Cons: -the animals smell bad -cleaning dirty animal cages -getting bitten by animals -not enough pay for the gross work you do (a little bit more than minimum wage) -catching… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Petco.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!

Petco – Why Work for Us?

Improve the lives of pets and their parents. If you have a passion to enhance the bond people have with their pets, PETCO has the career for you. You’ll work in a fun environment with great people who share your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Petco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Petco CEO James M. Myers. All reviews posted anonymously by Petco employees.