There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Great place if you love animals

Former Intern - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
Former Intern - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Petco as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are quite a bit of animals to wonder about, new fish seen everyday

Cons

The smell of the store in some places can hinder you nose and can get upsetting very quick

Be more friendly with animals around customers

reviews filtered by

Groomer

Former Employee - Groomer
    Former Employee - Groomer

I worked at Petco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

hourly pay if no dogs although its LOWER than what the cashiers make out in the store and they still expect you to be a cashier when you have no dogs..

Cons

ALOT. management doesnt do much in keeping order or making people do stuff, i saw countless times were someone should have been written up (poor care of animals) and never was. lower management gets away with just about everything! especially treating other people like there nothing and talking about them to other employees behind there back. prices are crazy high, and there all about the "numbers" not the care and welfare of the animals

smarten up your loosing your best employees....

2. It is what it is.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

I love the feel of being on a team. You get a chance to educate customers how to take care of their pets. And you feel like you contribute to humanity by working here, it may be small changes in someones life, but a Big change for pets. Oh and no one is afraid to get their hands dirty. Our managers help out from working on the registers, unloading to cleaning the bathrooms. I feel that says a lot about leaders.

Cons

The hours suck, they're always trying to save money by cutting back hours, way understaffed(because of hours). I mean, maybe they'll call in 2 employees when you may need 4 at a time. There are 4 registers but only one is open at a time. We get customer complaints because there is no one on the floor.

Allow your employees enough time to finish the training. There is nothing worse than disappointing a customer because the new employee is not prepared. I did not finish my training and had to study at home because I Hated disappointing customers. Lots of people come in for dog food, but God help me if I knew the difference one from the other. Also, do you play favorites in the employees? This is not a personal question, but I wonder if veteran employees receive more hours because of the larger knowledge on merchandise and animals. Maybe the new employee gets fewer hours because his/her incompetence may do harm or slow down the workplace? I don't know. Just something I notice. Or do we receive more hours the harder we work? I never know if hours are divided evenly between the employees or sided toward the bigger picture in what's better for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco