Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Horrible, go to Petsmart

Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to talk to pet lovers all day

Cons

Animal abuse is not okay

Hire managers and employees that are knowledgeable of and care about animals.

678 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

False Hope - False Promises... But, Potential for fun environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The animal experience.
    - They do practice what they preach as far as animal care. At least at the stores I've been to (and I've been to a lot of them), their animal care exceeds that of any other pet store I've ever seen.
    - The training they offer is exceptional. They definitely give employees the opportunity to learn as much as they can to better help the customers.
    - 50% of the people you work with (this includes associates and managers) are enjoyable to work with, they make you feel welcome when you start and some stores give a "family" feel, making everyone feel good about working there.
    - Managers actually help! This is a far cry from what I've seen at other retail stores; managers actually help associates to get tasks done instead of sitting in the office barking orders.

Cons

- The other 50% of employees make you feel alienated (this is more so within the management area), can at times make you feel as though you can't do anything right. Some managers talk down to their employees instead of treating them like an actual person. There are times when respect is not given to employees, from management. Everyone on staff should be treated respectfully.
    - The payroll/hours given is terrible. I've worked in retail for a very long time, I've worked at many different places, but Petco has one of the worst set-ups for payroll and hours for associates. Most retail jobs do not afford the luxury of giving part-time associates the opportunity make enough money to support themselves, so they often have to find one (or even two) other jobs to make enough money. Petco's hours constantly fluctuate, so associates never feel comfortable in knowing how much money they will make from one week to the next.
    - To continue on with payroll and hours given out, Petco (across all of the stores I've worked at and been to) plays favorites. If an employee tells their GM that they have open availability and can work at anytime, any day, that associate (provided they're good at their job) will usually get a decent amount of hours. It's not enough to live off of, but it's more than other associates can say they have. But, for the associates that do work numerous other jobs or have school... it's another story entirely. Petco GM's do not care if you need to work another job to support yourself. They do not care if you are in college full-time. If you do not have open availability (or worse, if you change your availability at any point in the future), they will give you the least amount of hours, almost forcing your hand of looking for another job and quitting. I've heard of this going on at numerous stores, not only the ones I've worked in. I used to listen as associates told me how they got 25 - 30 hours when they were hired in (during the Summer), then as soon as school started back up and they told their GM they couldn't work at certain times, instead of giving that associate shifts when they were available, they would give the associate one or two four-hour shifts a week. And sadly enough, this is acceptable. Instead of forcing an associate to quit because of lack of hours, they should be talking to their associates, telling them what they can do to get more hours. Tell the associates what the peak times are, what the "showtime" shifts are, so that associates are more aware of why they do not get as many hours.
    - Lack of customer service is probably one of the biggest issues within Petco. This affects everything - money coming into the store, customers referring us to their friends and family, people becoming repeat customers, etc. Even in high volume stores, there may only be two associates (the cashier and the manager) working during a particular time of day (more so the closing shift). This is not conducive to outstanding customer service. If Petco does not spend a little money, they're never going to make more money. Customers coming into Petco want assistance, they have questions, they have wants and needs. If there is no one there to help them, they will gladly leave and go to our competitors. And some of our competitors do have a lot of people on staff at all times, so they will easily offer more help to them than we did. I've worked at other pet stores and their way of doing things was much different, and actually worked out much better. If Petco cuts hours when they don't reach their goal (unless it's a frequent, all the time thing), then there will be less service for the customers, causing the customers to leave, and thus putting their money into someone else's pocket.
    - Lastly... often times management would either rigorously enforce or slightly bend rules and policies to suit their needs. If there is an associate that they are exceptionally fond of, they will bend rules and policies or even overlook it if this associate were to break a policy (often times though, the policy was broken even without the associate realizing they did it). But, if they are looking for ways to push an associate out (along the same lines of cutting their hours), they will find any and all policies to throw at the person. They will watch the person like a hawk and anytime they even think the associate as broken a policy, they will "coach" them (although it often feels more like an interrogation or a parent scolding a child), they will find any reason to write them up, to get them closer and closer to leaving, either by quitting or by being fired.

My advice to all of the GM's out there - listen to your associates, they often have amazing ideas that could greatly benefit the store and the company as a whole.

My biggest advice to you guys - treat everyone fairly. Treat all of your employees with the same respect that you often demand from them. Realize that every person has their own life, and if you want to keep good employees, then pay them more and give them more hours. You shouldn't be making associates feel like they have to dread coming to work. Associates often say to themselves before coming into work, "What am I going to get in trouble for today?" They should never feel this way! When an associate is paged to the office, they shouldn't have to think, "What did I do now?" But that is often times how people feel when they work for Petco. So, I think that the work environment could be much healthier and a much happier place if the management changed their attitudes. Corporate also should take a close look at how management treats associates - and possibly even talk to the associates within the stores, to find out the truth.

Not bad of a job.

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Don't need much experience to be in.

Cons

Doesn't pay a whole lot.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco