Petco

www.petco.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

I enjoyed my time working at Petco. The main cons were the hours and compensation.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved seeing all of the animals come through the store and helping them all out. I enjoyed working with all of the customers and making them happy. We offered different services within the store, which was also nice.

Cons

There are a ton of rules to follow regarding the animals..what is placed in every single habitat, etc. The surveys they handed to customers impacted your store far too much. Working nights and weekends, compensation

I don't have any advice but to compensate people better.

748 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

4 stars too high but 3 stars is too low

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just like any large organization you're going to have a mix of personalities but all in all I think there are a lot of good people and I know this is heresy but (GASP!) even the middle management is full of good people that I believe genuinely care about what they do and the people they manage. Balance of life seems to be genuinely important. There's a gym which is really nice. The facilities are new and very modern. Parking is great. Lots of employee engagement activities. Near all kinds of shopping and restaurants. Close to 410, 151, 1604, and I0. They routinely promote from within. They match 401K contributions up to 3%. The bonus have been over 100% every year since I've been there. You can bring your dog to work with you. There's a really nice outdoor patio where food trucks come a few times a week. You get a discount at Petco stores. They have a "Caught" program where you can catch someone in the act of doing something great and anyone can "Catch" anyone and if you get "Caught" you're put in a monthly drawing for a 15 dollar visa card and monthly winners are put in a drawing for quarterly winners. They have a "Submit an Idea" program where you can submit your great ideas and they'll actually respond to them and tell you if they'll implement your idea or not. They give lots of money for animal advocacy organizations.

Cons

No kind of educational reimbursement. Pay seems to be somewhat lower than average and the health benefits are some of the worst I've had regarding how much I pay and what I get but I think this is the case everywhere now.

Have some kind of tuition reimbursement.

Great place to work if you love animals

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of training about animals, animal food and grooming services. Privately held company so metrics are not the top priority. Focus on customer service and the lives of animals is more important than the metrics. Very involved with the community and animal welfare. Lots of advancement from within.

Cons

Busier stores should have more hours to give the level of customer service expected. IT could be improved by streamlining rewards program within the point of sale.

Spending a little more in floor hours will definitely help the bottom line. Customers come to expect a higher level of customer service than our competitors and when its not given is a major blow to the company's mission. Happier people not so happy.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco