Great place to work!

Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

caring people, friendly environment, great for pet lovers

Cons

being in retail, holiday rush

Advice to Management

none

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. 4 stars too high but 3 stars is too low

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just like any large organization you're going to have a mix of personalities but all in all I think there are a lot of good people and I know this is heresy but (GASP!) even the middle management is full of good people that I believe genuinely care about what they do and the people they manage. Balance of life seems to be genuinely important. There's a gym which is really nice. The facilities are new and very modern. Parking is great. Lots of employee engagement activities. Near all kinds of shopping and restaurants. Close to 410, 151, 1604, and I0. They routinely promote from within. They match 401K contributions up to 3%. The bonus have been over 100% every year since I've been there. You can bring your dog to work with you. There's a really nice outdoor patio where food trucks come a few times a week. You get a discount at Petco stores. They have a "Caught" program where you can catch someone in the act of doing something great and anyone can "Catch" anyone and if you get "Caught" you're put in a monthly drawing for a 15 dollar visa card and monthly winners are put in a drawing for quarterly winners. They have a "Submit an Idea" program where you can submit your great ideas and they'll actually respond to them and tell you if they'll implement your idea or not. They give lots of money for animal advocacy organizations.

Cons

No kind of educational reimbursement. Pay seems to be somewhat lower than average and the health benefits are some of the worst I've had regarding how much I pay and what I get but I think this is the case everywhere now.

Advice to Management

Have some kind of tuition reimbursement.

2. I enjoyed my time working at Petco. The main cons were the hours and compensation.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved seeing all of the animals come through the store and helping them all out. I enjoyed working with all of the customers and making them happy. We offered different services within the store, which was also nice.

Cons

There are a ton of rules to follow regarding the animals..what is placed in every single habitat, etc. The surveys they handed to customers impacted your store far too much. Working nights and weekends, compensation

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice but to compensate people better.