There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Not the best career choice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Bring your pets to office (if you have any). 2. Yearly bonus. 3. Good offer signing bonus. 4. Good relocation benefits. 5. Looks good on your resume/CV.

Cons

This company practices (or at least tries) some of the absurd processes and policies in IT. They don't realize that it is not a Software product company but a Retailer. They tend to spend too much on smaller projects which are destined to fail, and then fire employees in the name of cost cutting and to increase profitability. Too much top heavy with Directors, VPs, SVPs and no real Managers present to manage the teams, set expectations and build project roadmaps. Average salary for a location like San Diego. The on-boarding process for new employees is laughable. You will be Micro managed by random people (not your boss or your boss's boss) to such an extent that you may have to prepare your Weekly/Daily/Hourly work roster and present it to them, for no apparent reason, but just because they can ask you to do so. Too much confusion all over the organization and a good amount of time is wasted in figuring out who is supposed to do what and how. Out of bounds finger pointing and favoritism I have ever seen in my career. Everyone wants to know and approve everything and there are just too many meetings on a regular work week, and more than 90% of the meetings yield 0% valuable outcome. Unusually excessive outsourcing, and the outsourcing partners are obligated to perform just the bare minimum which often times is not enough. The company is growing rapidly but people are struggling hard to keep up with the pace. Overall an extremely stressful environment to work in. Other General Cons are: 1. No real cafeteria. Only vending machines with frozen burgers. 2. Old and dated office buildings. 3. No scope of internal trainings and personal development. 4. Not very great medical benefits. 5. Only 4 vacation days on your first year.

Advice to Management

Revisit the outlook of the company and realize major changes that needs to be done.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

Great experience but with a price to pay.

Former Employee - Rather Not Say
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pets at work! I gained a multitude of skills and can check off a lot of experiences that I can also add to my resume. Talented team around me. Living in San Diego. Moments of fun with the annual pet parent/pet costume contest at Halloween.

Cons

Pets at work! (Where I entered the building it always smelled like pet urine. Also, many misbehaved pets in the office can be distracting.) Too much overtime for my role and too high expectations. Needed more support. Burnt out after six months. Was part of a passionate and talented team but not enough of a team atmosphere. Department's roles were not clearly outlined or defined. No corporate orientation or onboarding practice. Everyone goes through the same struggles. Seems like a waste of company time if they could just take the time to institute a more structured onboarding process.

Advice to Management

Be role models and mentors and take the time to practice the company's core values. Show more subordinate employees that they are valued by giving them the support they need to get the job done but also have more of a work/life balance. Pay your subordinate employees a more liveable wage for Southern California. Take the time to welcome your new employees appropriately. I appreciate the travel mug and pen, but my boss was not present on my first day. I was shown my desk and told to come track someone down if I had any questions. No one even showed me where the restroom was located. My VP had an open door policy but frequently had to cancel meetings and was not available due to their own tireless schedule. My first six months were an administrative nightmare. Calling in IT and HR problems to India was another whole issue that everyone experienced tremendous amounts of frustration with. Even when I gave my notice, I received no support, no exit interview. I was told I could have requested one on my last day. I did not receive any exit info regarding my benefits until after I left the company. Also, please consider offering more than four vacation days for a corporate employees first year. Having only four days for anyone is demeaning and is the perfect recipe for burnout with the long hours and heavy expectations. Having to use sick time as vacation time is another policy that you should consider changing. Some people have a cool boss who sweep sick/vacation time under the rug. If you don't have one of those, you're left wondering why your coworkers get more time off than you. I like the company's CEO but wish he could be more dynamic and inspiring to the minions. Was very happy with the company's new direction but I did not feel like senior management was doing enough to take in the considerations of the worker bees. I spoke to many employees who shared my frustration, but in the corporate environment, no one wants to be the one to raise their hand and say they're not happy. We are trained to say "yes" when our bosses ask us to do something. When is it okay to say "no?" There was very little growth in my department and not enough support for my role, but there was nothing being done to look at the situation. It made me feel extremely undervalued as an employee and I was relieved when I gave my notice. On the positive side, I enjoyed working with a dynamic team of folks, but never felt like I quite fit into the club.

2. If you want to be micromanaged to death, this is the job for you.

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals. Interacting with customers and their pets on a daily basis. Helping local rescue groups with adoption fairs.

Cons

The rigid procedures involved in the animal departments are exhausting and set you up to fail. full-time employees are regularly scheduled for only 35 hours at most, never 40 and definitely no overtime allowed. Mandatory nights and weekends are also a downer.

Advice to Management

Ease up a little on the rigid procedures and allow employees to enjoy their jobs.