Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Petco Employee

Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL
Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get to assist customers in their search for any pet related item or service. Having the opportunity to work with all kinds of animals.

Cons

Everyone looks the other way for employees that have worked their for 6+ years. Work load trickles down and gets handed to the employees with the least experience. too many managers and not enough employees(too many indian chiefs and not enough indians)

delegate better, and find more employees.

715 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

The job is alright, the management is horrible.

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Lake Jackson, TX
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Lake Jackson, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Who doesn't like being able to work with animals every day?! The customers are usually really nice and receptive to conversation. The discount is very nice, especially if you have several pets. The company itself 'seems' to really care about the animals first and foremost. There is opportunity for fast promotions.

Cons

Management in several stores is horrible. I often find myself asking how such ignorant people were able to coerce themselves into the position they are in. There is no direction, training, or organization in my store. Most of the management staff is lazy, pawning their job off to whoever comes in next. Often times, the animals are stuck dealing with it, whether it be excessive feces in the habitat or a dry water bowl.

District managers: Do more in store visits. That seems to be the only time that my store runs the way it should. Make sure that your GM's are properly training their associates. My GM tells our DM that she is... she's not. I've been in the position I am in for 5 months now and I still feel lost. Listen to and respect your associates. I've never worked somewhere that had such a high turn over. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! Guide your employees in the right direction through proper training and coaching.

The Man runs everything

I worked at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with and care for some amazing animals.

Cons

Everything comes from corporate. No decisions are allowed to be made at the store level.

Store managers should be competent and people driven.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco