There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Dirty store and employees hate people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

Cons

The store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Get some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

626 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

worst company I've ever worked for!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the animals was a great experience and the customers were awesome. Animal lovers typically are just gentler, calmer customers. Not many pros about the company itself.

Cons

I have been in retail management for 12 years and I have never worked for a more dysfunctional company. The store manager is a glorified stocker, cashier, warehouse, janitor, you name it. Anything other than managing absolutely no worklife balance! The pay is poor and limited full time positions, so you hire inexperience and expect the world out of them. Turnover is high for a reason. I stayed for 4 years hoping it would get better.

You do not live up to your so called values and culture.

Petco Employee

Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to assist customers in their search for any pet related item or service. Having the opportunity to work with all kinds of animals.

Cons

Everyone looks the other way for employees that have worked their for 6+ years. Work load trickles down and gets handed to the employees with the least experience. too many managers and not enough employees(too many indian chiefs and not enough indians)

delegate better, and find more employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco