There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Dirty store and employees hate people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

Cons

The store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Advice to Management

Get some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very Opressive

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount on clearance items and some of the regular customers made it okay.

Cons

Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees. Think of teenagers literally bossing 40 somethings around. The pay rate was like all retail, low, but working as a bather for minimum wage is obscene.

Advice to Management

Be up front about the sales goals and other duties involved with a bathing position, and be more ear about how to achieve a living wage without throwing dogs in and out of tubs like a cruel factory.

Petco Employee

Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to assist customers in their search for any pet related item or service. Having the opportunity to work with all kinds of animals.

Cons

Everyone looks the other way for employees that have worked their for 6+ years. Work load trickles down and gets handed to the employees with the least experience. too many managers and not enough employees(too many indian chiefs and not enough indians)

Advice to Management

delegate better, and find more employees.